GREAT Curriculum Site

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 3, 2005
      To all of you weary Curriculum Writers.....

      Like I said last night... I browsed dozens of sites last night and
      couldn't decide what I wanted to say about them. My link to
      Saskatchewan was broken... I know this is a good source....

      Patty Knott posted this to Getty list:

      I wrote a few days ago that there are numbers of sources for curriculum
      on the web. Most just reiterate the standards with little direction to
      how the content is directed.
      There is one curriculum on line that is just the best--
      http://www.sasked.gov.sk.ca/branches/curr/evergreen/artsed.shtml

      It's the Saskatchewan. You can get lost in this site as to all the
      resources. I hate to advocate taking what has been done by so many
      that put so much effort and research into a comprehensive plan, but
      this is just the best of all my searches and I've searched them all.

      Curriculum writing is hard work. You must evaluate your own beliefs,
      your district initiatives, and your student interests and choices.

      Pam Stephens had this to say about the site:

      Thank you for pointing out
      http://www.sasked.gov.sk.ca/branches/curr/evergreen/artsed.shtml

      This is a site I will recommend to my pre-service students as they begin to
      look at curriculum. Although there are a few points I'd argue (their idea of
      a theme, for example), I find this to be a very good model.

      I particularly like the pie charts that indicate how inquiry and historical
      content are equal in value to production, although that would be easy to
      misinterpret as spending equal time on each area --- which we know is not
      usually the case.
      I value the opinion of these two fine educators and will get this site
      linked for sure.
      I know some are looking for those "quick at a glance" type guides, but
      I personally don't like those - and just didn't know what to say about
      them if I did link them. so may were too limiting.

      Incredible Art Resources
    • katday2001
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 5, 2005
        Judy, thank you for sharing the curriculum sites-- the Saskatchewan
        site is clear and concise! I'm to write my curriculum by the end of
        next school year, but I want to get as much done before school starts
        as I can. I wonder if curriculums don't have to start and end with
        their own state guidelines as a foundation. Fortunately, mine begins
        with the National Standards, so it's faily, well, standard. However,
        it and other c. guides I've seen leave out how lessons foster
        cooperative skills among peers-- that seems like such an obvious
        benefit in art. Also, no guides break down curriculum by grade.
        Since development progresses so quickly at the elementary stage, this
        seems important. Our old guide, for instance, had first and second
        graders practicing simple aspects of perspective drawing. That's
        probably because our last curriculum just lumped K-4 together:
        sections for different grades but identical copy in each. I'm using
        an old copy of Understanding Children's Art for Better Education by
        Betty Horovitz to pinpoint more age-appropriate objectives. Am I
        being too complicated? I tend to do that. Kat

        --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, Judy Decker <judy.decker@g...>