Beginning of the Year - Classroom organization

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 2, 2005
      Dear Art Educators,

      Here is a beginning of year idea that Laurie Reber shared with me.

      I had planned to start off the first day with
      introductions, expectations, etc. Then, I was going to
      have the students make I.D. cards for checking out art
      supplies from me (supplies that I really need to keep
      a close watch on - Xacto, copper tooling tools, etc).
      The students design a 4 x 6 index card by drawing,
      coloring on one side. Then they can use glitter glue,
      sharpies, etc to write info like one would find on a
      driver's license - name, address, height, eye color,
      hair color. Then I have the tables numbered, so they
      write the table number they are sitting at on their
      card, then something interesting about themselves,
      then their favorite band/singer/music, their favorite
      candy/food.

      On the reverse side, I get pertinent info
      like parent/step-parent/guardian info, siblings, phone
      numbers where parents (or other guardian) can be
      reached (cell, work, etc.). Then their homework is to
      bring in a small picture of themselves to be placed on
      their ID cards the next class period. This is a great
      way for me to remember who my 240 students per
      semester are since I have a name to connect to the
      face, and it really helps me to manage my supplies.

      When a table needs to check out supplies for a
      particular lesson, one student per table is
      responsible for checking those supplies out. They need
      to find their ID card (which are now placed in a file
      box by class period),remove it from the file box, and
      then placed in a tray on my desk. When clean-up time
      comes, I know who from each table checked out what
      supplies and can call them up to return supplies (they
      are responsible for checking to see that all they
      checked out is returned) so if anything is missing, I
      know right away where the problem is.

      I have also decided to do the Starry Night matrix for
      back to school night.
      You might want to make a template card and get them printed on colored
      card stock. I had ID cards that I did with students the first day -
      but we didn't turn them into an art project - and I didn't have such a
      perfect use for them. My cards were boring - just info for me. I used
      the have the template on IAD. I'll see if I can find it.

      Hope this sparks some ideas.... I started on the Beginning of Year
      ideas but didn't get very far:
      http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/Files/ArtNight.htm

      Happy July 4th Weekend (USA Members).

      Incredible Art Resources