Where do the lesson ideas come from? Elementary

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 2, 2005
      Greetings Art Educators,

      This is directed to elementary art teachers - but others can add on to
      the ideas too.

      I will add this to the page "How Artists get Ideas" - expanded to how
      Art Teachers get Ideas. Writing lesson plans/coming up with ideas was
      "My Art". I liked coming up with my own lesson ideas.

      This is from Cindy Erickson - posted to Getty list.

      I was brainstorming this morning about creating elementary lesson plans and
      started this list---it is just for fun---this is just a brainstorming list

      How to generate a lesson plan from thin air:

      Pick a favorite children's literature book and design a lesson around it
      (Eric Carle etc.)
      Plan a lesson around a famous artist (Van, Gogh, Monet...)
      Pick a culture and develop a lesson plan by studying their specific style of
      artwork (Australian aboriginal.....)
      Brainstorm a list of themes that children enjoy (swimming, circus, pets)
      Combine 2 seemingly unconnected objects (apple and a Frisbee)
      Teach a concept (abstraction etc.)
      Paint to music (Mozart, Raffi, Blue-grass, Jazz)
      Give each child a found object and have them design around it (juice can
      lids are fun)
      make a list of fun still-lifes for elementary and plan one (toy still life,
      fruit, flowers, sports equipment)
      think of an idea that your kids have trouble with and figure out a lesson
      plan to teach it (overlapping or drawing ellipses)
      bring in a pile of interesting junk and just let kids draw (shells,
      necklaces, small baskets)
      Figure out a correlation idea with math or social studies or???
      Find a fun elementary "crafty" idea and stretch yourself to figure out how
      to make it broader and more creative - turn craft into fine art
      Start with the cheapest material you can think of and design a lesson around
      it (toilet paper rolls)
      Think of something you have never done and design a "trial" lesson
      (puppetry or ??)
      Seasonal (fall leaves or spring animals and babies or....)

      Now think about what media to use:
      pencil, colored pencil, markers, oil or chalk pastels, tempera, watercolor,
      printmaking, collage, cut-paper, torn-paper, wood/wire/clay/soft sculpture,
      clay pottery or sculpture
      crayon or crayon resist,

      Now add in technique you want them to master:
      learning to draw, learning to cut, learning to glue, neatness, perspective,
      overlapping, composition, shading, shadows, patterning
      Now how about: expressiveness, freedom of expression, self-awareness,

      Now incorporate information or teaching about the elements of art and the
      principles of design:
      line, color, value, texture, shape, form, space
      balance, rhythm and movement, proportion, variety and emphasis, harmony and

      Voila! Now you have so many lesson plan ideas - the problem is you have to
      decide which ones to do!

      Add on to this.....

      Think about Character Education. What artists had character traits you
      want the students to emulate? What famous people? Think about lessons
      around Heroes.

      Think about world issues. What is it that you really want the students
      to care about? Peace - hunger - poverty. Even younger kids can deal
      with social comment.

      Keep on adding to the "Lesson Plan Brainstorming - How Teachers get Ideas"
      Keep in mind the kiddies have good ideas of their own, too.

      Incredible Art Resources