Tin Can "Totem" Idea

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 2005
      Greetings Art Educators,

      Here is an idea that was posted in Riverdeep Newsletter.
      Tin Can Totem Poles
      http://jas.familyfun.go.com/crafts?page=CraftDisplay&craftid=11113

      Now don't "bite off my head" here folks...(smile).

      I wouldn't do this idea exactly as written - but it does give you some
      good ideas on how to assemble the finished parts. I can think of ways
      to do this without trivializing Native American Art. Doing the pole as
      written/shown and calling it Native American of course would be a
      "no-no".

      I will elaborate more on my ideas with anyone who is interested....
      but I think you can get some ideas... Northwest Coast peoples used
      materials that were available to you.... Tin Cans are available to
      you.... Recycling is a good thing. These can be done as symbols for
      our culture. Remember, it was white folks who called the Northwest
      Coast poles "totems" first. "Totems" are found in many cultures.

      Incredible Art Resources