2 great sites - Mayan Observatories and World Myths & Legends

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 2005
      Greetings List Members,

      Here are two great sites that were featured in Scout Report. I know I
      have posted both before (to the art lists) but there are many new
      members. I may have posted them to Net Gold before, too (worth a
      second look).

      The first one if for math/science connections (National Standard 6 as
      well as other standards)

      4. Ancient Observatories: Chichen Itza [Macromedia Flash Player]
      http://www.exploratorium.edu/ancientobs/chichen/index.html

      Located on a limestone plateau in the northern area of the Yucatan
      peninsula, the dramatic ruins of Chichen Itza stand as a testimony to the
      ingenuity of the Mayan civilization. Many visitors flock to the area to view
      these structures, and now it is also possible to view them via this fine
      exhibition created by the Exploratorium Museum. With substantial funding
      from the McBean Family Foundation and NASA, this site explores the use of
      these structures as ancient observatories. Visitors will want to begin by
      looking through some historical essays on Chichen Itza, then proceed to
      learn about the expert alignments of the structures that allowed Mayans to
      observe different celestial bodies. The site also includes fun activities,
      such as Mayan math exercises and a Mayan calendar. [KMG]

      This one on Myth is also for National Standard 6 and others)

      8. World Myths & Legends in Art
      http://www.artsmia.org/world-myths/

      Primarily for teachers and students (but fun for anyone), this website from
      the Minneapolis Institute of Arts uses 26 works of art selected from its
      collections to explore mythology from around the world. Each work of art has
      a corresponding essay that includes key points; the story that inspired the
      work of art; background, such as history, cultural context and style; and
      suggested discussion questions. For example, the entry for a Navajo ketoh
      includes a Navajo creation myth describing the adventures of the earliest
      beings as they moved through the first four worlds; explains that while this
      particular piece is decorative jewelry, the ketoh form is based on wrist
      guards worn by archers to protect their forearms from the snap of their
      bowstrings; and also provides background information on the Navajo, and
      their arts and crafts. [DS]

      >From The Scout Report, Copyright Internet Scout Project 1994-2005.
      http://scout.wisc.edu/ (Copied here with permission.)

      Just keep in mind that the "myths" were not myths to the people at the
      time. The myth was a part of their beliefs. Creation narratives are a
      great way to connect all cultures.

      Art can and should be comprehensive. Your lessons will be so much
      richer if you do more than simply make art. Multicultural art is
      learning about the culture - why they did what they did..... etc. I'll
      keep it short (smile).

      Enjoy these sites.

      Incredible Art Resources