Textiles in Illuminated Manuscripts - Book Arts

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 2005
      Dear Art Educators,

      Altered Book enthusiasts will enjoy these images (as well as those who
      admire Medieval Art). This is a current exhibit at Getty.
      Shrine and Shroud: Textiles in Illuminated Manuscripts:
      http://www.getty.edu/art/exhibitions/shrine_shroud/

      This gives you some historical reference for including some fabric
      "treasures" in your altered books.

      YES - students of ALL faiths can admired these images. Illuminated
      Manuscripts is an ideal place to start when you are discussing the
      book as art. These books had highly embellished covers and often
      shrine boxes to hold them. Art about religion definitely has its place
      in the art curriculum. I know there are many out there who will
      disagree with me - I don't want to start a debate on this topic (you
      can send your replies to me off list).

      Incredible Art Resources