Re: Dreamcatcher hoops

  • Anne Rose-Phillips
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 29, 2005
      I have only been sporadically reading, but a few years ago I used the
      lightweight basket making stuff (don't know its name - it's light
      brown, about 1/4 inch diameter, round, flexible, woody but totally
      bendy & was very cheap when I bought a lot of it from a craft store)
      for dreamcatchers. I made pretty much any size I needed by bending a
      circle & weaving the extra around itself, giving a slightly textured
      hoop. I secured it with very fine beading wire if there wasn't much
      overlap.

      I then used embroidery thread to do the middle, with beads, shells, etc
      & tied feathers on. Often I would finish the hoop by wrapping it with 3
      colors of emb. thread. Most were about 6 inches & didn't take that
      long, but were very beautiful & not expensive.

      Perhaps that helps? (Didn't do this with kids, but after a hula hoop
      demo, I expect it would work easily)

      Anne