Re: [art_education] GETTING ORGANIZED AND STUFF

  • artswim@conwaycorp.net
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 13, 2005
      DEar Tammy,
      For me, I have two drawers of crayons, a scissor drawer, a marker drawer a tape
      drawer etc. One of the better things I did was to get a plastic bin with a lid
      and put a set of crayons, markers, colored pencils, but not glue or scissors in
      each container. I have the containers numbered and I put them out on the
      tables. I teach 7th and eight graders. I think if I taught lower grades, I
      would have markers in one container etc. so that I could get them out according
      to the project. The best container I have found for water and paint is the
      Blue Bunny yougert container. It is small enough, yet large enough and they
      have lids! And they stack! Plastic bins that are labeled in the storage room
      are a must! I had boxes for years...my sanity was helped so much by having
      clear plastic labeled bins! You really have to get them out yourself, I have
      very few helpers who will get the right stuff out and not leave a mess! My
      desk does stay a mess. I have 10 large windows. In one of them I put folfers
      that I have made in differnt colors and laminated with each peeriod number for
      finished work to be graded. I have mione do practice every week. I have
      (cheap) drawer thing (6 drawers) for them to put weekly practice.
      I love teaching and have taught for 30 years! Middle School! :-)
      Hope this helps!

      Becky Thornton
      Quoting tmwillis72 <tmwillis72@...>:

      > Being a 2nd year teacher there are still alot of things I need to
      > learn. This being said I was wondering if anyone had any helpful
      > hints for keeping their artrooms organized. Since September I have
      > had piles of "things to do" well they are still here. Also supplies
      > how do you keep them? Ex pencils, glue, scissors? Do you have helpers
      > who handout materials? I am trying to begin thinking of all of these
      > things for next year.I want to have a room that the kids know where
      > things belong and I can have them be more responsible for the
      > cleanup. Any help would be oh so fabulous!!! Also if anyone would be
      > willing to share pictures of what there room set up looks like I
      > would appreciate it.
      >
      > While I have you "eye" I was wondering about discipline. I have had a
      > bunch of chatty cathys all year, as well as some non- compliant
      > students. I have noticed depending on the classroom teacher a
      > difference in the kids. Do you go by the classroom teachers
      > discipline or set up your own. Does it say something about your
      > teaching if they are talking and not working? Is it ok for them to
      > talk in art? I want them to enjoy coming and release themselves.
      >
      > Now the last thing I swear (well for now anyway) Lesson planning, do
      > you do units or a new lesson everyweek? I have been doing lesson that
      > will take more than one art time but it is still one lesson. Is unit
      > plannning a better option? I think it would be better for the kids.
      > Now I am thinking unit planning would be best for 3-6 because some of
      > my little ones attention can't even be held for the whole art time.
      >
      > Thank you so much. I am sure I will think of more.
      > Have a good day.
      >
      > Only 2 more weeks to go.
      >
      > Tammy
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

      This message was sent using Conway Corporation WebMail -- www.conwaycorp.net
    • katday2001
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 15, 2005
        Hi Leah- I think community projects like this are great- and
        administrators seem to like the service part, as it's a good
        character builder. I did a similar project with my high school art
        students: we painted a large jungle on the wall of the girls'
        bathroom. I continue to get complements on it and plan to do the
        boys' bathroom next year. The problems I ran into for this project
        and other weeks-long group projects with my elementary students were
        these:
        1. Some kids never really got into the cooperative and group
        aspect. I had to push them to work, because you can't leave
        something like this half-done. I ended up doing the parts nobody
        wanted to: background foliage, for instance. Have students sign parts
        they do: it increases ownership on something that might, otherwise,
        look to them like slave labor.
        2. We worked four weeks (every day): too long. In my once-weekly
        elementary classes, we worked on a couple of large group projects--
        after the first 2 weeks, I could count on only a few kids to work on
        it. Have something else for others to do. Group projects seemed to
        work best early in the year as opposed to the end, too.
        3. If you pre-cut the shapes from plywood, it will probably look
        great. But, if all they do is come in and paint them, how creative
        is that? Don't get me wrong: sometimes the end product-- a public
        display of your department-- is worth a few weeks of technical focus,
        and making a mural is a great skill to have, for anyone.
        4. Be very organized and prepared. I spent most of my time getting
        kids steered toward a part to work on. When I had time, I wrote
        names on the board and their days' job. It's best to let them choose,
        if they will.

        We painted our background light green on top which blended into
        darker green at the bottom (sky, ground). I would opt for even
        darker green on the ground, next time. If you let the kids draw the
        parts, and want to enlarge them, have them make a cartoon on clear
        film and project it, using an overhead projector.

        Again, I love group and community service projects, but the results
        are very public and I felt a lot of pressure to finish them, even if
        it meant using my planning time working on it, myself. Hope I have
        not discouraged you- it is definitely worth doing! Be sure to seal
        the whole thing with a weatherproof clear finish. Kat

        --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, Leah Korican <lbkrobar@e...>
        wrote:
        > oops should have headlined my post mural...
        > On Jun 10, 2005, at 5:48 PM, Leah Korican wrote:
        >
        > > Hi,
        > >
        > >   I am planning to help my students in 4th-8th grade (about 120
        > > students) paint a mural on a long fence (not sure exact length
        > > 40'-60',
        > > I think) next year. My current plan is to do a Rousseau type
        jungle
        > > scene. I would have them sketch ideas then blow them up on large
        > > plywood which I'll cut out and then attach to the fence. We'll
        paint
        > > the fence background in first (the school will prime it any
        color I
        > > want, I'm thinking light green) then add vines, trees, plants,
        etc
        > > then
        > > in relief, animals, plants, figures etc. etc.   These students
        are all
        > > in different classes (6 classes) so I can't really have them all
        make
        > > decisions together but I do want the imagery to be really theirs.
        > >
        > >   Any great resources on murals in general? Feedback on my idea?
        > > Anyone
        > > done a project like this and have practical suggestions?
        > >
        > >   Thanks very much,
        > >
        > >   Leah

        > > Yahoo! Groups Links

        > > • Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo!
        Terms of
        > > Service.

      • Renah Bell
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 15, 2005
          My students had a one day color war with 4 teams. We created 5 murals. Each
          team had a section of the wall of one of the halls, and took a biblical
          passage for their theme. The results were great. Perhaps tomorow I'll try to
          take pictures to show you. The 5th wall was divided into 5 sections. The
          center was a silhouete of the map of Israel. Each team had 1/4 of the
          surrounding wall and a city in Israel as part of their theme. Each team
          created it's own painting with several children working in different places
          at the same time. Each quarter represented one of the 4 major historical
          cities of Israel. Tomorrow I will complete my section---a song on the map
          and the telling of what we are seeing. Everything takes so much longer than
          you expect. I hope I can finish it tomorrow. I hope to have some help from
          the children.I will take pictures and send them on. We may even have
          pictures of the children at work.
          Renah Bell

          wrote:
          > oops should have headlined my post mural...
          > On Jun 10, 2005, at 5:48 PM, Leah Korican wrote:
          >
          > > Hi,
          > >
          > > I am planning to help my students in 4th-8th grade (about 120
          > > students) paint a mural on a long fence (not sure exact length
          > > 40'-60',
          > > I think) next year. My current plan is to do a Rousseau type
          jungle
          > > scene. I would have them sketch ideas then blow them up on large
          > > plywood which I'll cut out and then attach to the fence. We'll
          paint
          > > the fence background in first (the school will prime it any
          color I
          > > want, I'm thinking light green) then add vines, trees, plants,
          etc
          > > then
          > > in relief, animals, plants, figures etc. etc. These students
          are all
          > > in different classes (6 classes) so I can't really have them all
          make
          > > decisions together but I do want the imagery to be really theirs.
          > >
          > > Any great resources on murals in general? Feedback on my idea?
          > > Anyone
          > > done a project like this and have practical suggestions?
          > >
          > > Thanks very much,
          > >
          > > Leah

          > > Yahoo! Groups Links
          > > . To visit your group on the web, go to:
          > >
          > > . To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
          > >
          > > . Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo!
          Terms of
          > > Service.

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Leah Korican
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 16, 2005
            Thanks Kat and Renah,

            I' d love to see photos of both of your projects. I think showing the
            kids photos of other kids murals will be inspiring! As far as the cut
            out shapes I was thinking I'd have them sketch animals, plants etc and
            then use an opaque projector to make them larger, trace them on the
            board, cut them out and then have the kids paint them based on their
            drawings so the shapes and painting will be theirs. The reminders about
            keeping all the kids involved are helpful... I am expecting to use a
            lot of prep time on this project and will do it first thing in the Fall
            before the rainy season so I hope the kids and I will be fresh and
            full of ideas and energy. Why do you wish the green was darker and what
            kind of sealer did you use? Thanks again,

            Leah

          • Renah Bell
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 16, 2005
              My students also used a projector to work on pre designed drawings. It's a
              tool I am not comfortable with because my shadow always gets in the way. The
              children, on the other hand, are very comfortable with it.
              A few years ago we did family murals. Each student did a drawing of his or
              her family(not too accurate, but at least the number of adults and children
              was correct.), and colored it. I really don't remember if they painted, used
              markers or crayons. We did huge background scenes----for my school there was
              a Jerusalem and some other Israeli city scenes. We had open buildings and
              closed ones, the wailing wall and other recognizable places, and we glued
              our families all over the scenes to make highly populated murals. That was a
              lot of fun. I may do it again sometime.
              Art in my middle school has been severely curtailed. They have run out of
              space and time in the schedule. I now teach only one class, an elective, for
              an hour on Friday mornings. The kids are motivated, so I don't have to deal
              with discipline, but I even miss the little trouble-makers. I guess I am
              gradually slowing down in my art schedule. The next thing to do is spend
              more time on my own art, but I doubt that will happen any time soon. It is
              one reason I really enjoy the altered book projects.

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • katday2001
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 17, 2005
                wrote:
                > Thanks Kat and Renah,
                Thanks for your comments, Leah. Your idea for having the kids draw
                their own things that you'll enlarge and cut out is excellent.
                We did a rain forest, which gets pretty dark on the forest floor
                (look at Rousseau's paintings) and the background was jumping into
                the foreground, as it was a lighter color! I ended up re-coloring all
                the background darker, myself. We used a poly-urethane coating which
                I thought was waterbased and odorless (NOT!). Lucky I didn't get
                fired, as it stunk up the whole school for the day and gave the poor
                students rolling it on headaches!
                You won't have that problem outside. Just buy exterior grade
                urethane or marine varnish; be sure it says it dries clear. You don't
                want to yellow things up. I would do this, even if you're using
                exterior grade paint (which you should do, anyway). You want this to
                be around a long time, right? I'll try to get a picture, if I can
                borrow the school digital camera. Send us pictures of your finished
                project, when it's done! Kat