Re: Ordering a Kiln

  • Ken Rohrer
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 5, 2005
      An important thing that is frequently left out with
      this is that everyone forgets about the venting of the
      kiln. Make sure you get the proper ventilation
      included in this donation. There will need to be some
      arrangements made for the installation of the venting
      too. Usually districts require their own maintenance
      to do this. It may be in the capital projects budget
      which may mean it may not get done without payment for
      their labor. If you need some ammunition for the
      ventilation, send them to:

      http://www.potterycrafts.co.uk/products/equipment/kilnsafety.html
      http://www.hse.gov.uk/lau/lacs/27-10.htm

      Ken

      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 5, 2005
        In a message dated 6/5/2005 1:48:17 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
        kenroar@... writes:

        An important thing that is frequently left out with
        this is that everyone forgets about the venting of the
        kiln. Make sure you get the proper ventilation
        included in this donation.

        Ken is so right about this aspect! We do not have a kiln in our newly
        constructed school addition because the art room was put in an area that lacks
        space for proper ventilation. (Teachers were not consulted before the
        architect's plans were approved!) I do have a great sink, though! SandyJ

      • go4art@juno.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 5, 2005
          how exciting to get a kiln!!

          digital controler, vent system and lid lifter are important....a Skutt is a must :-) they have a brouchure on how to chose the right kiln for your use on their web site www.skutt.com