Ordering a Kiln

  • wendy_wallingford
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 4, 2005
      My PTO approached me at our art show and said that they would like to
      get a kiln for two of the three schools in our district. They asked
      that I provide them with specifics about what would need to be
      ordered. I need to contact a kiln company, but I am looking for a
      list of specific things that you needed to order/be aware of when you
      ordered your kiln.

      Thanks! Wendy
    • Mikel Lee
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 4, 2005
        I know that a digital kiln is a life changer. You will
        not have to remember to turn up the kiln every few
        hours and the kiln will do all of the work- even the
        cool down is controlled. Other than that all of the
        electric kilns I have worked with in various schools
        have been pretty much the same. I hope that this
        helps- Mikel

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Ken Rohrer
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 5, 2005
          An important thing that is frequently left out with
          this is that everyone forgets about the venting of the
          kiln. Make sure you get the proper ventilation
          included in this donation. There will need to be some
          arrangements made for the installation of the venting
          too. Usually districts require their own maintenance
          to do this. It may be in the capital projects budget
          which may mean it may not get done without payment for
          their labor. If you need some ammunition for the
          ventilation, send them to:

          http://www.potterycrafts.co.uk/products/equipment/kilnsafety.html
          http://www.hse.gov.uk/lau/lacs/27-10.htm

          Ken

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 5, 2005
            In a message dated 6/5/2005 1:48:17 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
            kenroar@... writes:

            An important thing that is frequently left out with
            this is that everyone forgets about the venting of the
            kiln. Make sure you get the proper ventilation
            included in this donation.

            Ken is so right about this aspect! We do not have a kiln in our newly
            constructed school addition because the art room was put in an area that lacks
            space for proper ventilation. (Teachers were not consulted before the
            architect's plans were approved!) I do have a great sink, though! SandyJ

          • go4art@juno.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 5, 2005
              how exciting to get a kiln!!

              digital controler, vent system and lid lifter are important....a Skutt is a must :-) they have a brouchure on how to chose the right kiln for your use on their web site www.skutt.com