Job Interviews

  • Jessica
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 3, 2005
      Hello everyone!

      Just today, I got my first call for a job interview. (yay!) I have been looking at the Incredible
      Art Dept website for ideas about what the interviewers will ask me, but I am wondering if
      anyone has any suggestions for what I might ask them, or general suggestions? Any help
      would be wonderful! You may also write me off-line, if that helps any...

      Jessica Kemnitz
    • Kelli Wilke

          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 3, 2005
            Jessica.
            You could ask if will you have to travel or will you
            have to share your room. Ask about your budget and if
            you can see the art room. Ask when they plan on making
            their decision and if they will call and let you know
            either way, so that you will not have to wait in
            agony. You could also ask about the schools
            participation in school or community art events and if
            there are any things like that for you to participate
            in- so that they know you will be active in getting
            their school recognition for the arts. Best of luck-
            Mikel

            --- Jessica <kermit_al@...> wrote:

            > Hello everyone!
            >
            > Just today, I got my first call for a job interview.
            > (yay!) I have been looking at the Incredible
            > Art Dept website for ideas about what the
            > interviewers will ask me, but I am wondering if
            > anyone has any suggestions for what I might ask
            > them, or general suggestions? Any help
            > would be wonderful! You may also write me off-line,
            > if that helps any...
            >
            > Jessica Kemnitz

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • henlaojim
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 10, 2005
              --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Jessica" <kermit_al@y...> wrote:
              > Hello everyone!
              >
              > Just today, I got my first call for a job interview. (yay!) I have
              been looking at the Incredible
              > Art Dept website for ideas about what the interviewers will ask me,
              but I am wondering if
              > anyone has any suggestions for what I might ask them, or general
              suggestions?

              My experience suggests the following guidelines:
              1. don't dress too well, teachers are genrally assumed to be menial
              laborers and if you have nice clothes you may be seen as uppity and
              above your station. I once showed up in a suite made of exactly the
              same materials as the boss and as soon as she noticed the atmosphere
              got chilly.

              2. Don't make a big deal of your credentials and qualification.
              Alert Shankar used to say that school people will invariably hire the
              least qualified candidate.

              3. Smile a lot, but don't think too much. Most principals want quiet
              dopes who will follow orders. When i studied school administration at
              the University of Illinois i was told never to hire experienced
              teachers. If you hire new teachers you "can mold them" to do the job
              your way. This is, of course, crap, but they believe it.

              4. Never ask about pay or benfits. Teachers are supposed to be
              deicated and dedicated people should be happy to work for nothig in
              outlandish conditions.

              5. Don't express too much interest in your subject matter because, as
              we all know, any fool can teach art and those artsy fartsy types ane
              just a pain in the neck. They're all comies anyway. jackson Pollock
              was and they all teach about jackson Pollock, don't they?

              6. When a woman is asked why she wants the job the ONLY acceptable
              answer is, "I love children." Any other response, such as, "i gotta
              eat." is evidence of cold heartedness and suggests you are probably a
              child molester. NOTE: If you are a man the answer is that you love
              teaching. for a man to express affection for children, even his own,
              is taken as evidence of pedofilia.

              7. Smile a lot.

              8. Smile some more.

              9. when asked why you want to work for this school tell them something
              using phrases like "heard really exciting things about this school."
              This is not a lie because everyone in this business is constantly
              asserting that they are very excited about what they happen to be
              doing at the moment even though it is exactly like what everyone was
              doing in 1966 and exactly like what everyone else in the country is
              doing. Vague and flattering will win. rational, as in, "Because you
              advertised for an art teacher" is considered non-dedicated.

              10. When asked if you are willing to work overtime and weekends
              without additional pay the answer is, "yes.' the next person will say
              that so you have to to. Once you have the job you can start to give
              them increasingly flimsy excuses like, "I have to pick up my kids from
              school." then when they start to press you on the matter you can
              consult with the union.

              11. If asked, yo will not join the union or support it because they
              are all America-hating communists and yu are loya. later, of course,
              you join the union on your first day on the job because it is the only
              protection you will ever have in this workplace.

              Good luck.
            • Sheba
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 11, 2005
                --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "henlaojim" <henlaojim@y...>
                wrote:>
                you said: My experience suggests the following guidelines:

                I can't know your expereince but I REALLY hope on most of
                these 'tips' that you are kidding. I really disagree with a lot your
                guidelines. And for totally new teacher that might take them to
                heart, I must give some additional feedback.

                you said: 1. don't dress too well

                I dress my personality, which happens to be funky yet professional
                artist. My principal still comments on what I wore to the interview
                and how she knew she was hiring a real artist. My 'signature' is that
                I wear a paint brush in my long twisted up hair.

                you said: 2. Don't make a big deal of your qualification.

                As a previous hiring manager in my pre-teaching career, again I
                disagree. don't brag and gloat, but definately share in a confident
                manner your skills and how they can benefit the school.

                you said: 3. Smile a lot, but don't think too much.

                I can't disagree with what you were taught, but this is crap! And I
                would never want to work for a principal that would want me to be
                that way.

                you said: 4. Never ask about pay or benfits.

                Now this is TRUE, only because the principal has nothing to do with
                it and these questions should be reserved to HR, and if you do your
                homework ahead of time it is a needless question. You should know
                going in to the interview what you would be paid and if it is
                acceptable to you.

                you said: 5. Don't express too much interest in your subject matter
                because, as we all know, any fool can teach art and those artsy
                fartsy types just a pain in the neck. They're all comies anyway.

                This is where I seriously pray that you are kidding. If you aren't
                passionate about your subject, then don't teach it, if you are, SHOW
                IT! I express my passion for teaching art in everything I say and do
                and have never been thought to be a fool, difficult to deal with or a
                commie.

                you said: 6. When a woman is asked why she wants the job the ONLY
                acceptable answer is, "I love children."

                I can see this point, but something along the lines of I love
                teaching, I love mentoring, I love art, etc. are all good too. For an
                interview at a Middle school saying "I love children" is going to
                sound fake as middle school kids are hard to "love" and anyone who
                works in middle school knows that.

                you said: 9. when asked why you want to work for this school tell
                them something using phrases like "heard really exciting things about
                this school."

                Again, make sure you have done your research and KNOW what exciting
                things are happening. I happened to have applied to an inner
                city 'getto' school and told them, that I heard the school had a bad
                reputation but that I didn't believe the rumors and I was excited to
                see what the school was really like. All true.

                you said: 10. When asked if you are willing to work overtime and
                weekends without additional pay the answer is, "yes.'

                The job of teaching requires either extra time or amazing
                orginazation and self-control. I don't take 'work' home, but I am
                always doing art, often times it ends up being something I use in the
                classroom.

                you said: 11. If asked, you will not join the union

                All the school districts I have worked in REQUIRE you join the union
                it is not a choice, again do your homework before the interview.

                I do wish you good luck! going to your first interviews can be
                difficult. Go to as many as you can and as often as you can.
                Interviewing is indeed a skill. It includes the need to do research
                ahead of time, and listen for what they are really asking.
                Personally, I believe in honesty and my integrity will not allow me
                to lie or twist the truth, just to get a job. I have always gotten
                jobs with a minimal amount of work and time.

                Sheba~Cynthia Artist/ Educator "multi-faceted creative visionary"
                The ART Site
                http://www.sheba-kitty-productions.com/
                The School Site
                http://thevirtualclassroom.org/
              • Mikel Lee
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 11, 2005
                  I could not agree more... and I too have always gotten
                  jobs in little time and in every district I have in
                  which I have wanted to work. A good teacher is an
                  asset. Why in the world would a school want a poorly
                  dressed, dumb, robot teacher who didn't even care
                  about their subject but "loved" kids????!!! - Mikel

                • Heather Richardson
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 12, 2005
                    I agree, too. Be yourself and be honest. You want to be working in a school that fits you. Being where you feel respected and where you fit in will only enhance your teaching and will definitely get you through any difficult spots...ie. budget crisis, difficult students etc. Good luck! Your job is out there!

                    Mikel Lee <mikellee31@...> wrote:I could not agree more... and I too have always gotten

                    --- Sheba <shebaduhkitty@...> wrote:

> [...]
                    > classroom.
                    >
                    > you said: 11. If asked, you will not join the union
                    >

                    > All the school districts I have worked in REQUIRE
                    > you join the union
                    > it is not a choice, again do your homework before
                    > the interview.
                    >
                    > I do wish you good luck! going to your first
                    > interviews can be
                    > difficult. Go to as many as you can and as often as
                    > you can.
                    > Interviewing is indeed a skill. It includes the need
                    > to do research
                    > ahead of time, and listen for what they are really
                    > asking.
                    > Personally, I believe in honesty and my integrity
                    > will not allow me
                    > to lie or twist the truth, just to get a job. I have
                    > always gotten
                    > jobs with a minimal amount of work and time.
                    >
                    > Sheba~Cynthia Artist/ Educator "multi-faceted

                    Heather Richardson
                    Proud Fiancée of LT Mike Paquette

                    Please sign my soldier's tribute page to show your support:

                    http://www.projo.com/cgi-bin/extra/terror/tribute/view.cgi?id=6503

                  • henlaojim
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 13, 2005
                      --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, Mikel Lee <mikellee31@y...> wrote:
                      > I could not agree more... and I too have always gotten
                      > jobs in little time and in every district I have in
                      > which I have wanted to work. A good teacher is an
                      > asset. Why in the world would a school want a poorly
                      > dressed, dumb, robot teacher who didn't even care
                      > about their subject but "loved" kids????!!! - Mikel

                      Excellent question. Why do they?
                    • Mikel Lee
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jun 14, 2005
                        A better question is WHERE do they because I don't
                        want to end up there!! And the only answer to why
                        would be in a place where the administration was
                        shifty and was worried about the "underlings" rising
                        up or overthrowing the innerworks. - mikel

                        http://mail.yahoo.com