Re: [art_education] kiln proposal

  • vickie mathas
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 2, 2005
      I did a proposal for a kiln in my school many years ago.
      I approached the school's PTO for the money to buy the kiln and hook it up.
      They went for it because it would benefit every child in the school. They were always looking for projects that would benefit all the children.
      Since then all the schools in my district now have kilns.
      The parents were impressed when the annual art show displayed the clay works of their children and they look forward to having the art pieces for their homes when the children bring the work home.
      Try your parent teacher organization. They may even do a fund raiser just to get the kiln in the art room.
      Vickie Mathas
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 2, 2005
        Thanks Vickie, for your suggestions. I truly appreciate it. Unfortunately, we do not have a PTO. The school board's "way out" is that I can just use the high school's kiln, but what they don't realize is (and they've been informed many times) the high school art teacher has two ceramics classes that are blocked so between bisque firings and glaze firings, that kiln is running all the time. Plus transferring 30 projects back and forth would be a nightmare...and try explaining to a 6th grader why their project broke (by their teacher, of all people) because I had to carry it to the high school. What really irritates me is that I have a kiln sitting in my room doing nothing. Last year I was told by the superintendent that I had all the state required equipment for a kiln, but they were going to wait a few years to get one. Now that one has been donated, all of a sudden, I don't have the proper equipment so they conveniently can't hook it up. In the meantime I have been using air
        dry clay, so I thought I would add up the numbers of how much more money is being spent on air dry clay and how many fewer students are getting to use it. Plus, since air dry clay works differently than regular clay, when they get up to high school ceramics, they won't know how to use regular clay or know anything about glazing.
        I think I may have plenty of support from community people, but I have to have an actual piece of paper to set on my principal's desk before it can even go before the board. I was just wondering what hard facts I could include on this piece of paper. Thanks again for your help, Vickie!

        Kelli

        vickie mathas <vmathas@...> wrote:
        I did a proposal for a kiln in my school many years ago.
        I approached the school's PTO for the money to buy the kiln and hook it up.
        They went for it because it would benefit every child in the school. They were always looking for projects that would benefit all the children.
        Since then all the schools in my district now have kilns.
        The parents were impressed when the annual art show displayed the clay works of their children and they look forward to having the art pieces for their homes when the children bring the work home.
        Try your parent teacher organization. They may even do a fund raiser just to get the kiln in the art room.
        Vickie Mathas
        > I am putting together a proposal for my principal and my school
        > board to get a kiln hooked up in my art room. We had one donated
        > but they don't believe that a middle school should have a kiln. I
        > need to convince these people that they are doing a disservice to
        > their children by not allowing a kiln in the art
        > department....especially when the elementary and high school each
        > have one. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions about how to
        > do this? They like research and studies, numbers and facts. I'd
        > like to show them specifically how improving the art department
        > will help the kids and the school. I'd appreciate any help.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Kelli Wilke

      • vickie mathas
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 3, 2005
          Get your parents involved. They can send requests to the school board for the kiln to be hooked up.
          Talk to your maintance department. Find out who does electrical work and have them look at the specs for a hook up.
          It won't cost much if you already have the kiln.
          Find out how much it would cost for the hook up.
          Divide that amount by how many students you have and present it as cost per pupil.
          Something like 50cents per student etc.
          I know whenever parents what something it gets done in my school. They listen to them.
          hope this helps
          Vickie