Re: Copyright - for new teachers & new list members

  • henlaojim
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 1, 2005
      > This new teacher said the was a topic that was NOT discussed much in
      > her teacher training. Why not present the idea to your administrator
      > to have a professional development session dealing with this topic?
      > The tech person, librarian and maybe a community lawyer (who will
      > volunteer?) can present a condensed version of all of the info then
      > field questions. I know my former school "encouraged" copyright
      > violations (in many cases - long story)... Don't know what the
      > policies are now.

      There is, on the other hand, something to be said for the proposition
      that children as students have a right to the knowledge of the world
      and have, therefore, a right to information even if copyrighted.

      "it is easier to get forgiveness than permission" is a maxim in
      dealing with schools so it is always advisable to scrounge any and all
      information for students in your classes. I the case of art classes
      this isvolves imagery. If you go involving administrators and
      librarians you are apt to wind up with people making rules that
      interfere with your ability to assemble the information so don't ask,
      don't tell, don't discuss it, just do it.

      What you have to keep in mind about copyright is that a copyright,
      registered or assumed, is a claim to the rights of a particular work,
      not proof of ownership. I can publish a book with illustration of the
      Rennaisance masters, and copyright that book, even the pictures in it,
      but I can't copyright the works of Leonardo. It is of little
      significance, therefore if i get my picture of a Leonardo fresco from
      your book or another, so i say, use what you find, wherever you find
      it. I can publish my own book and travel to italy to take a picture
      from the exact spot you took yours and have the identical image in my
      book, but if i just take yours what is the difference? This is and
      ancient conundrum and is only going to get more complicated.

      I'm certainly not going to say, "No, Bobby, you can't look at the
      picture of the Yves Tanguy painting because the Tanguy estate is
      currently in litigation with Simon and Schuster over the rights to the
      Chicago Art Institute painting, 'The Rapidity of Sleep' until the
      seventh circuit appeals court decides in favor of the Mmotion to
      supress the publication." I'm more likely to say, "hey, look at this!"

      Incidentally, there are wealthy organizations like Getty (or RIAA) who
      are forever tryng to enforce their claims to various images (sounds
      and so on) and it is wise, therefore, to save copies of imges when
      first found because they may be gone tomorrow; anyway, it is easy to
      save whole web sites on your local drive.

      Much the same can be said of texts, currently the subject oh heated
      debate. But i gave a student the compete text of howard Zinn's
      "People's History of the United States" os a miniature CD the other
      day ad while I approve of Mr. Zinn making a buck on the book the text
      just might change a young guy's life and i suspect Howard would
      approve of that.