Copyright - for new teachers & new list members

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 1, 2005
      Greetings NEW list members and NEW teachers,

      In reference to making color copies/prints for your classroom......

      A list member came to me asking about Fair Use Guidelines for
      teachers. As all veteran teachers know, the guidelines are not etched
      in stone. They were set up by a group of librarians who really do not
      know or understand our needs (wouldn't some of you agree?).

      I have posted lots of stuff of interest on the Yahoo lists... and
      won't rehash that.
      Today I discovered the Getty archives for April and May are back on
      line and I found this link I posted.... with way more than you need
      for Fair Use:
      David Dillard compiled all of this for Net Gold list - archives open
      to the public.

      This new teacher said the was a topic that was NOT discussed much in
      her teacher training. Why not present the idea to your administrator
      to have a professional development session dealing with this topic?
      The tech person, librarian and maybe a community lawyer (who will
      volunteer?) can present a condensed version of all of the info then
      field questions. I know my former school "encouraged" copyright
      violations (in many cases - long story)... Don't know what the
      policies are now.

      Cases of individual teachers being challenged are quiet rare.... but
      it is at least a good idea to model correct behavior with your
      students. Last year, a list member said STUDENTS reported their
      teacher(s) who were in violation of copyright law. I don't know what
      became of those cases.

      Copyright laws have not changed much -- it is just that we are more
      aware of them now with all of this information available to us on the
      Internet. Just LOL - I wrote a site about copyright for permission to
      use some of their text about copyright... I never did hear back from
      them (chuckles). Someday - I will write a page.....I just got bored
      with the topic.

      If your own district's policy is so rigid that they will not allow
      color photocopies to be displayed (some will not allow it) - then I
      hope they provide adequate funds for you to purchase visual resources.

      Incredible Art Resources
    • henlaojim
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 1, 2005
        > This new teacher said the was a topic that was NOT discussed much in
        > her teacher training. Why not present the idea to your administrator
        > to have a professional development session dealing with this topic?
        > The tech person, librarian and maybe a community lawyer (who will
        > volunteer?) can present a condensed version of all of the info then
        > field questions. I know my former school "encouraged" copyright
        > violations (in many cases - long story)... Don't know what the
        > policies are now.

        There is, on the other hand, something to be said for the proposition
        that children as students have a right to the knowledge of the world
        and have, therefore, a right to information even if copyrighted.

        "it is easier to get forgiveness than permission" is a maxim in
        dealing with schools so it is always advisable to scrounge any and all
        information for students in your classes. I the case of art classes
        this isvolves imagery. If you go involving administrators and
        librarians you are apt to wind up with people making rules that
        interfere with your ability to assemble the information so don't ask,
        don't tell, don't discuss it, just do it.

        What you have to keep in mind about copyright is that a copyright,
        registered or assumed, is a claim to the rights of a particular work,
        not proof of ownership. I can publish a book with illustration of the
        Rennaisance masters, and copyright that book, even the pictures in it,
        but I can't copyright the works of Leonardo. It is of little
        significance, therefore if i get my picture of a Leonardo fresco from
        your book or another, so i say, use what you find, wherever you find
        it. I can publish my own book and travel to italy to take a picture
        from the exact spot you took yours and have the identical image in my
        book, but if i just take yours what is the difference? This is and
        ancient conundrum and is only going to get more complicated.

        I'm certainly not going to say, "No, Bobby, you can't look at the
        picture of the Yves Tanguy painting because the Tanguy estate is
        currently in litigation with Simon and Schuster over the rights to the
        Chicago Art Institute painting, 'The Rapidity of Sleep' until the
        seventh circuit appeals court decides in favor of the Mmotion to
        supress the publication." I'm more likely to say, "hey, look at this!"

        Incidentally, there are wealthy organizations like Getty (or RIAA) who
        are forever tryng to enforce their claims to various images (sounds
        and so on) and it is wise, therefore, to save copies of imges when
        first found because they may be gone tomorrow; anyway, it is easy to
        save whole web sites on your local drive.

        Much the same can be said of texts, currently the subject oh heated
        debate. But i gave a student the compete text of howard Zinn's
        "People's History of the United States" os a miniature CD the other
        day ad while I approve of Mr. Zinn making a buck on the book the text
        just might change a young guy's life and i suspect Howard would
        approve of that.