8th Grade Hand Made Books - to WOW you - from Mark Anderson

    Message 1 of 1 , May 31, 2005
      Greetings Art Educators,

      This personal hand made book project was a hit with Mark Anderson's
      8th grade students.

      From Mark:

      Thought you might be interested in these new collage images. This is
      the first time I've done handmade books with my 8th grade Art kids -
      self portrait collage on the front cover, autobiographical poem and
      illustrations in pen and ink and (if we hadn't run out of semester)
      watercolor.
      Go to:
      http://www.ideacreative.com/8th_grade_art/a002.html and click on Gallery #19.

      The covers are self portraits finished in collage. This might be an
      idea for all of you altered book fans too.... Project could be
      Personal Identity (dreams - whatever) and cover could be done like
      Mark's students.

      I am just guessing.... I think these started with a digital photo -
      reduced to line drawing in Photoshop. You could do them by close
      observational drawing using mirrors. Magazines were used for the
      collage. Mark will let me know the process he used to start the
      portrait.

      Might be a great project to work interdisciplinary with language arts.
      LA teacher could assign the poem and maybe another creative writing
      piece for the book.

      Enjoy the images!

      Incredible Art Resources