Re: [art_education] Tragedy in NY

  • Sue Freeland
    Message 1 of 22 , Sep 19, 2001
      Need your help!!cause you guys are the best! Can we put our heads together
      and come up with one or more projects created by our art classes that would
      make a difference and inspire people in our own towns?
      I love the idea of an international protest and my students are currently
      making posters for the Lion's Club Peace poster contest (incredible timing!)
      Theme this year "Lighting the pathway to peace."
      What I would like to do is some kind of permanent sculpture or mural or
      whatever so that people will not forget those who died but also to
      strengthen the ties that have brought us together even if it is in grief.
      Strangers no longer walk by without acknowledgement. They look you in the
      eye and the sentiment is there, a nod, a smile a sort of recognition of
      another soul going through the same pain.
      Sorry...it's getting late. But really, does anyone have a suggestion for
      some kind of memorial like this...something that would be around a while?
      Thanks,
      Sue
    • DeAnn Hanisch
      Message 2 of 22 , Oct 2, 2001
        I'm not sure if this is along the lines you are
        thinking, but have you looked at the quilt Faith
        Ringgold created for the Oklahoma City Bombing? Her
        work is so powerful! You may get some inspiration!

        http://phone.yahoo.com
      • Smileatsusan@aol.com
        Message 3 of 22 , Oct 3, 2001
          I'd love to see that site. We have an exhibit of Faith's coming to our
          community this Winter!
          -Susan
        • Ken Rohrer
          Message 4 of 22 , Oct 15, 2001
            Hi all,
            Teri Mason, who is helping me with the art site, sent
            me this message a few days ago. She says she posted it
            to this group but I don't remember reading it.

            William Saunders Mason, IV "Liam"
            born 10/08/01 9:33 am
            6lbs, 13 oz
            via emergency c-section, after 30 hrs of natural labor

            I'm sure this will keep her busy and we won't be able
            to update the art site much.
            Ken

            http://personals.yahoo.com