RE: [art_education] folk art

  • Hillmer, Jan
    Message 1 of 11 , May 5, 2005
      Pennsylvania Dutch Hex designs?

      Here are 3 sites:

      http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~aferm/pennsylvania/hex.htm

      http://www.fortunecity.com/lavender/strangelove/197/page9.html

      http://www.folkart.com/hex/ramona/sketches.htm

      Jan

      -----Original Message-----
      From: art_education@yahoogroups.com
      [mailto:art_education@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Jessica
      Sent: Thursday, May 05, 2005 12:51 PM
      To: art_education@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [art_education] folk art

      Hello everyone!

      I am looking for suggestions on a good folk art lesoon for 6th grade.
      I have a very large class that needs a lot of attention, so I am hoping
      for something that will not require a ton of supplies..

      Any help would be wonderful!
      Thanks!
      jessica

      _____

      Yahoo! Groups Links

    • jdecker4art
      Message 2 of 11 , May 5, 2005
        Greetings Jessica,

        Many of my middle school lessons were inspired by folk art.
        Did you have any particular culture in mind? Are you interested in 2-D
        or 3-D projects? Mask making is always a big motivator. If you don't
        have supplies for maskmaking, consider the masks of Eric Straw using
        recycled corrugated cardboard.
        http://www.ericstraw.com/

        You could use Mexican Folk Art Masks for inspiration. Jan Hillmer sent
        me a good site for Mexican Folk art masks.
        http://www.casamexicanafolkart.com/p0000226.html
        Students could make masks with layers of cardboard. Paint - or color
        with oil pastels.

        Oaxacan style paper mache is always a hit. I did my lesson with 6th
        graders before I did it with seventh grade. You can do it with or
        without wire (just using foil for legs and tails).
        http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/Lessons/7-
        alebrijes.htm

        Decide on what culture - then narrow down the possibilies.

        Animals are a good theme for nearly all cultures.

        Weaving is always good... and many like doing weaving towards the end
        of the year. They find it keeps kids on task.

        For American Folk art - maybe browse some sites I have listed:
        http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/am-folk.htm

        I really like Haitian folk art paintings - fanciful jungle paintings.
        I have a lesson using markers:
        http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/Lessons/6haiti.htm

        My students really enjoyed making tin lizards (from foil tooling) -
        Haitian inspired (from steel drum art).

        Best Wishes,

        Judy Decker

        --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Jessica" <kermit_al@y...> wrote:
        > Hello everyone!
        > I am looking for suggestions on a good folk art lesson for 6th
        grade....
        > Thanks!
        > jessica
      • kamla ravikumar
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 6, 2009

          Tha above picture shows Warli art where figures are not shown as stck images but one trangular shape on top of another to make the human form.This is a traditional form of painting in Maharshtra,India called "WARLI ART".Farmers adorned their walls with these paintings.Cow dung paste was first smeared on the walls.After it dried up rice flour paste was used to make these murals.

          You could teach the students to draw human form like this too.
          Kamla
          Chennai,India.

        • kamla ravikumar
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 27, 2010
            Please let me know if you would like to teach folk art of India.There is so much to learn from the all the states we have.I teach 'Warli " &" Madhubani" art which is very interesting for children because it is based on folklore.

            Kamla,
            Chennai,India

          • reens@semol.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 27, 2010
              I'm interested!

              > Please let me know if you would like to teach folk art of India.There is
              > so much to learn from the all the states we have.I teach 'Warli " &"
              > Madhubani" art which is very interesting for children because it is based
              > on folklore.
              >
              > Kamla,
              > Chennai,India

            • Julia Garnett
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 27, 2010
                I am not familiar with this art at all, and would love to know about it. Is it something elementary art students would enjoy and be able to do?
              • Kathleen Maledon

                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 28, 2010
                    Please give me a week's time to prepare the art work with images for Warli art.I will send it in the first week of October........... if that is okay?

                    Kamla,
                    Chennai,India

                  • reens@semol.com
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 28, 2010
                      That's great! Thank you!

                      > Please give me a week's time to prepare the art work with images for Warli
                      > art.I will send it in the first week of October........... if that is
                      > okay?
                      >
                      > Kamla,
                      > Chennai,India

                    • Ken
                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 29, 2010
                        Rather than e-mail the images, you can post them to this group. Visit the home page at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/art_education and click on the "Photos" link on the left column. You can then upload the image so that everyone on the list can see it, not just a few. After you upload them, post this fact to the group so they'll know they are there.

                        Ken