RE: [art_education] Next year's supply list...

  • Hillmer, Jan
    Message 1 of 26 , May 5, 2005
      Hi Patti,

      All of the info about your art room supply start-up is partly tempered
      by the amount of budget you get.

      In public school, I had to stretch every penny to the max. My art budget
      was amazingly small. I was (still am) cheap, a dumpster diver and a
      scrounger. If I discovered that a parent could easily make donations
      (i.e. left over pens+ pencils from conventions, wood scraps, rolls of
      paper), I was sure to ask them if they could help me out.

      Maybe you could ask for smocks from one grade level in addition to
      whatever they purchase. You don't want too many - storage issues!

      Unless you do special drawing with value studies, etc, a regular
      classroom pencil will be fine. I used to haunt the halls after school
      and pick up any left on the floor - the kids seemed to find pencils very
      disposable, but they still cost $ to me! Erasers were also a big issue.
      I ended up buying a few packs of those pens that go on sale in the fall
      10 for a $!.00. Then on some days, we'd only draw with those pens
      (Papermates with the white outside are my fav!) The students got to
      really love them, and interestingly, their need to erase diminished
      somewhat.

      As far as the glue and watercolors, ask for it - you can never have
      enough. If you have enough for 2 years (you'll know at the end of the
      1st year), ask for something different from that grade level the
      following year.

      Early on, I also used lots of copy paper - the one thing I did not have
      to buy or pay for via my budget.

      Also, our phone system at school was changed one year - I begged for all
      of the left over wire - we had enough to do wire sculptures as well as
      bind our sketchbooks!

      Starting an art room can be challenging, but fun! Be creative, but keep
      an eye out for the basics!

      This list is the very best!

      Jan

      Message 2 of 26 , May 5, 2005
        Jan...
        More great advice...thanks! One thing...I will be on a cart, which is why I
        am planning to ask for smocks from each student (there is always a head lice
        issue) so each child will have their own. I expect to have a little "art
        corner" in each room where they will keeps smocks and portfolios. This will
        be different room to room I am sure...depending on the teacher. I would
        love my own room, but for now I am content. We'll see how I feel in a year!

        :)
        Patti

        * ...Did you have a specific art pencil that you
        preferred or did they use a regular school pencil (I like
        Dixon-Ticonderoga)? What did you use for art smocks? Our classroom
        teachers ask for glue and watercolors so I may just leave those items in

        their room, or would you recommend doubling up? Thank you, thank you
        and...

        ...thanks again,
        Patti

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        To visit your group on the web, go to:

      • Carol Campbell
        Message 3 of 26 , May 5, 2005
          --- Patricia Jones Brigman <pbrigman@...> wrote:

          > This fall will be the first year for a real art program at our
          > school. What do
          > you all recommend for this and what other supplies might be
          >feasible to include.

          Patty,
          If I were in your shoes, I'd like them to have a big manilla
          envelope to keep sketches in and a package of copy paper for
          drawings. I'd add some No. 2 pencils and ALWAYS an eraser or two.
          Having paper for drawing ideas and a way to keep the sketches
          together can be a good foundation for any other projects to build
          upon.

          .....Carol-joyuzsong

          Carol - joyuzsong

          "Art, like morality, consists by drawing the line somewhere."
          - G.K. Chesterton
        • Hillmer, Jan
          Message 4 of 26 , May 5, 2005
            Hi Patti,

            Yikes! I didn't realize about the cart. If that's the case, you were
            right about using the classroom sets of watercolors and other items, but
            check with the teachers first - this year- to see if that will work with
            them. Some teachers have their annual plan and know just how & how much
            of each supply will be used. Other teachers just like to have a variety
            of supplies available for projects as they arise. You are right, too
            about everyone having their own smocks. Be sure to ask ahead about the
            'art corner', too. Most teachers will probably be gracious about it,
            but there might be a few that will be unhappy or just say no. I've not
            been on a cart, but from what I understand, it's pretty important for
            you to have a space - like a closet somewhere, where you can lock up
            your supplies. Otherwise, the art cart might be the cart that folks
            feel they can freely 'borrow' from.

            Jan

            * I will be on a cart, which is why I
            am planning to ask for smocks from each student (there is always a head
            lice
            issue) so each child will have their own. I expect to have a little
            "art
            corner" in each room where they will keeps smocks and portfolios.

          • janahooks
            Message 5 of 26 , May 5, 2005
              Hello, Everyone! I am very new to the group and am jumping in on
              Patti's conversation because I saw the dreaded "art on a cart." Me,
              too, times two. Next year I will serve one elementary school for
              the first two periods of the day and hopefully show up on time at
              the second for five. No room at either. I am very concerned about
              rooms without sinks, where to store portfolios (or should I just
              grade as I go), and meaningful lesson plans that don't wreck
              someone's room. Also, how do I integrate technology in such a
              situation? I'd love to have my own lap-top and projector to lug
              with me, but how do I get this funded? Is there a fantastic
              art/cart site that you know of? I'm tired already...

              Thanks,
              jana

              --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Hillmer, Jan" <hillmjan@b...>
              wrote:
              > Hi Patti,
              >

              > Yikes! I didn't realize about the cart. If that's the case, you
              were
              > right about using the classroom sets of watercolors and other
              items, but
              > check with the teachers first - this year- to see if that will
              work with
              > them. Some teachers have their annual plan and know just how &
              how much
              > of each supply will be used. Other teachers just like to have a
              variety
              > of supplies available for projects as they arise. You are right,
              too
              > about everyone having their own smocks. Be sure to ask ahead
              about the
              > 'art corner', too. Most teachers will probably be gracious about
              it,
              > but there might be a few that will be unhappy or just say no.
              I've not
              > been on a cart, but from what I understand, it's pretty important
              for
              > you to have a space - like a closet somewhere, where you can lock
              up
              > your supplies. Otherwise, the art cart might be the cart that
              folks
              > feel they can freely 'borrow' from.
              >
              > Jan
              >

              > * I will be on a cart, which is why I
              > am planning to ask for smocks from each student (there is always a
              head
              > lice
              > issue) so each child will have their own. I expect to have a
              little
              > "art
              > corner" in each room where they will keeps smocks and portfolios.

            • Jenny Watlington
              Message 6 of 26 , May 5, 2005
                I like T shirts for smocks, I keep them in a clothes basket and the kids can
                get one if they feel like they need one. To me, button downs take too long
                for the little ones to put on, even if they aren't buttoning. Plastic or
                vinyl would probably be better to help avoid the potential for lice
                transmission.
                I love the fat red or blue "kindergarten" pencils. They have a wider
                core (less trips to the pencil sharpener) and kids aren't as tempted to
                "accidentally" walk out with them.

                Peter
              • Patricia Jones Brigman
                Message 7 of 26 , May 5, 2005
                  I was wondering that about tee shirts vs button downs. I will ask for T's
                  only! I've never used the kindergarten pencils. What is the lead like...is
                  it soft enough to make nice dark lines? How do they come packaged? Great
                  advice...thanks!
                  patti

                • michener64@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 26 , May 9, 2005
                    Sorry this is so late. Once again my computer was wiped out.
                    Watch for clearance from Walmart, Staples, etc. I got Prang watercolors
                    for 50 cents a piece, ELmer's glue 10 for a $1.00, etc. I, too, pick up all
                    wayward pencils and pens. Watercolors, sharpies, colored pencils and crayons
                    are a must. I love to show the kids how to layer the colors rather than just
                    coloring in like a coloring book. They are always amazed at the results.
                    Also, I love charcoal sticks and white chalk on brown paper bags. Paper
                    bags have more tooth than brown paper. It seems no matter what the kids draw,
                    it looks twice as good.
                    I use a piece of posterboard folded over for portfolios. The young ones
                    can staple, older ones can punch holes and tie with yarn, string, ribbon,
                    etc. Also tape a piece of paper on the front to make a pocket. Let them decorate
                    them and they will be proud to take car of them.
                    I spend all year collecting things at yard sales: bags of beads, yarn,
                    colored glue, frames, paper, etc., but only if they are really, really cheap.
                    Also cardboard, pringles and coffe cans for storage.
                    I've been known to pick up stacks of discarded announcements on colored
                    paper to use the back side (such as auction announcements, etc). Garages use
                    those large rolls of paper to lay down on the carpet when they are working on
                    cars. Think about who you know that you can ask to donate items.

                    Tina

                  • Patricia Jones Brigman
                    Message 9 of 26 , May 11, 2005
                      I am still working on the list to go home with parents on the last day. I
                      have broken down my supply requests by grade level and so far am including
                      pencils, Sharpie markers, Elmer's glue, erasers, baby wipes, and glue
                      sticks. Do any of you use the glue sticks?...what are your pros-cons on
                      this item? Also, can any of you get Prang watercolors at Walmart? All ours
                      has is Crayola and Roseart, but I want Prang. I was thinking of requesting
                      our local Walmart to stock this item for the new school year.

                      Thanks again. I appreciate everyone's fabulous advice!
                      Patti

                    • Jenny Watlington
                      Message 10 of 26 , May 11, 2005
                        I tried glue sticks once in the class and many of the 3rd graders got
                        frustrated because things kept falling off of their collages. I think they
                        were crayola. I use Elmers and keep a bottle of wood glue around for
                        certain things and a bottle of "allene's (sp) tacky glue" for things that
                        need to set up quickly and not drip. I love the pointy top on that tacky
                        glue and I may start putting elmers in those clear bottles Sax sells that
                        have that same pointy spout.

                        Peter
                      • Patricia Jones Brigman
                        Message 11 of 26 , May 11, 2005
                          Great idea on switching glue containers! I hate the mess of Elmers and
                          personally prefer rubber cement, but that is out of the question with our
                          kids. My problem with Elmers is not only the mess, but it can distort the
                          item being glued. I will have to figure this one out through trial and
                          error. I think I WILL try switching bottles, though. Thanks!

                          Message 12 of 26 , May 11, 2005
                            What do you use baby wipes for, and why Prang? Have you found it to be a
                            better quality/ In what way?
                            Renah Bell

                          • klpoos@hometel.com
                            Message 13 of 26 , May 13, 2005
                              This fall will be the first year for a real art program at our school
                              > We
                              > are putting together the supply list that will go home with each child at

                              the end of this year (

                              Hi Patti, here is what I required my students to have for art. box of
                              crayons, bottle of Elmers glue, scissors, ruler, pencils and erasers, box
                              of markers, colored pencils, paint shirt- a trash bag works good- cut a
                              hole at the top for head and fold and cut two hole in the sides for
                              arms....
                            • klpoos@hometel.com
                              Message 14 of 26 , May 13, 2005
                                Do any of you use the glue sticks?...what are your pros-cons on
                                > this item?

                                Glue sticks are TERRIBLE and will not hold one sheet to another . DO NOT
                                get glue sticks. Get Elmer's Glue. the papers come apart when using glue
                                sticks... nice but not for use in the art room. The glue does NOT HOLD !!!
                              • Hillmer, Jan
                                Message 15 of 26 , May 13, 2005
                                  I agree!!

                                  Do any of you use the glue sticks?...what are your pros-cons on
                                  > this item?

                                  Glue sticks are TERRIBLE and will not hold one sheet to another . DO NOT
                                  get glue sticks. Get Elmer's Glue. the papers come apart when using
                                  glue
                                  sticks... nice but not for use in the art room. The glue does NOT HOLD
                                  !!!

                                  _____

                                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                                • Susan McKenna-Macumber
                                  Message 16 of 26 , May 13, 2005
                                    On 5/13/05 12:53 PM, "Hillmer, Jan" <hillmjan@...> wrote:

                                    > I agree!!

                                    I am new to the list, but have been teaching for 11 years and I just
                                    discovered a great way to do papermaking with the little guys! I am so
                                    excited with the amount of time I have learned to save myself.
                                    Another teacher gets me tubs from a local hospital so they are not too big
                                    and not too small, the molds are 4x4 wooden frames with screen on them-no
                                    deckle. I put old sheets (donated from a local motel) on the tables as
                                    their work surface. I have them couch onto a piece of matt board (also
                                    donated by a local framing shop). The matt board is my big time saver! It
                                    soaks up enough of the water and does not make nearly the mess that
                                    newspaper does. At the end of the day I spread out all of the matt boards
                                    onto the floor and they dry out overnight. I have even left the paper on
                                    for a few days because they are easier to store than the loose sheets. The
                                    kids will use their paper to make a book. We will staple on one side and
                                    then glue a half sheet over their staples. Very cool!
                                    Susan in Iowa

                                  • Susan McKenna-Macumber
                                    Message 17 of 26 , May 13, 2005
                                      > Sorry for the previous message, hope this one goes through better! :)
                                      >> >

                                      > I am new to the list, but have been teaching for 11 years and I just
                                      > discovered a great way to do papermaking with the little guys! I am so
                                      > excited with the amount of time I have learned to save myself.
                                      > Another teacher gets me tubs from a local hospital so they are not too big
                                      > and not too small, the molds are 4x4 wooden frames with screen on them-no
                                      > deckle. I put old sheets (donated from a local motel) on the tables as
                                      > their work surface. I have them couch onto a piece of matt board (also
                                      > donated by a local framing shop). The matt board is my big time saver! It
                                      > soaks up enough of the water and does not make nearly the mess that
                                      > newspaper does. At the end of the day I spread out all of the matt boards
                                      > onto the floor and they dry out overnight. I have even left the paper on
                                      > for a few days because they are easier to store than the loose sheets. The
                                      > kids will use their paper to make a book. We will staple on one side and
                                      > then glue a half sheet over their staples. Very cool!
                                      > Susan in Iowa

                                      > Yahoo! Groups Links
                                      > *
                                      > *
                                      > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                                    • katday2001
                                      Message 18 of 26 , May 14, 2005
                                        I agree about the glue sticks. I use them myself, when I need to cut
                                        and paste a mailer or handout. Kids leave off the lids or press too
                                        hard and, even if they worked, they get used up and dry out too
                                        quickly! Kat

                                        Message 19 of 26 , May 14, 2005
                                          The lady who wrote "The Art of Teaching Art To Children" suggests
                                          putting white glue into baby food jars and supplying cheap paint
                                          brushes, which you put in a jar of water at the end of class- no
                                          need to rinse out every day. I used yogurt containers, and this
                                          ended the problem of glue bottles that didn't work and brushes were
                                          much easier for my younger students to manage. I think they enjoy
                                          the paint-like feeling of it, too. I have used the purchased glue
                                          bottles, too, and plan to buy more (since all my Elmers bottles are
                                          toast and I plan to only buy glue by the gallon). The kids found
                                          these bottles much easier to get glue from and request them over the
                                          Elmers bottles. Just be sure to get the kind with the lid that stays
                                          attached.

                                          --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Patricia Jones Brigman"
                                          <pbrigman@s...> wrote:
                                          > Great idea on switching glue containers! I hate the mess of Elmers
                                          and
                                          > personally prefer rubber cement, but that is out of the question
                                          with our
                                          > kids. My problem with Elmers is not only the mess, but it can
                                          distort the
                                          > item being glued. I will have to figure this one out through trial
                                          and
                                          > error. I think I WILL try switching bottles, though. Thanks!

                                          Service.

                                        • Maude Ruesch
                                          Message 20 of 26 , May 14, 2005
                                            I use Elmers in stancups with metal handled stiff bristle brushes for my 5's
                                            and it works well. Only the occasional child can manage to get enough glue
                                            on the brush to make a trail across everything. We did lots of collages
                                            this year and even they liked the brush method better.
                                            Maude in VA

                                            <pbrigman@s...> wrote:
                                            > Great idea on switching glue containers! I hate the mess of Elmers
                                            and
                                            > personally prefer rubber cement, but that is out of the question
                                            with our
                                            > kids. My problem with Elmers is not only the mess, but it can
                                            distort the
                                            > item being glued. I will have to figure this one out through trial
                                            and
                                            > error. I think I WILL try switching bottles, though. Thanks!

                                            Service.

                                            Yahoo! Groups Links
                                          • michener64@aol.com
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Jun 4, 2005
                                              Patti,

                                              Our local Wal-mart discontinued Prang watercolors last year. They were
                                              marked down on clearance and I bought the last 10 or so they had. (I prefer
                                              Prang and won't use Roseart at all)
                                              I keep some glue sticks for my students. If they ask for them, I explain
                                              that I do not recommend it as they don't seem to hold well, and I suggest
                                              they use Elmers, wood, or whatever is appropriate. If I have a stubborn (or
                                              lazy) student who insists on a glue stick, I let them use it. They may end up
                                              having to redo it with another glue later, but I figure they've learned a
                                              lesson from experience and won't soon forget it.

                                              Tina M.

                                              Do any of you use the glue sticks?...what are your pros-cons on
                                              this item? Also, can any of you get Prang watercolors at Walmart? All ours
                                              has is Crayola and Roseart, but I want Prang. I was thinking of requesting
                                              our local Walmart to stock this item for the new school year.

                                              Thanks again. I appreciate everyone's fabulous advice!
                                              Patti

                                            • Judy
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Jun 5, 2005
                                                Hi Patti,
                                                I also use Prang. I purchase them through Nasco catalog. Their prices are
                                                always good and I buy the refills so I just keep using the same box and
                                                replace colors as needed. I've kept the same boxes for over 5 years so far.
                                                I never use glue sticks. I found I was being a glue Nazi with them. I was
                                                finding them frequently ruined and their effectiveness is so poor and yet
                                                expensive. I finally just tell the kids that if they want glue sticks they
                                                can bring them in.
                                                Hope that helps.
                                                Judy B