Next year's supply list...

  • Patricia Jones Brigman
    Message 1 of 26 , May 5, 2005
      This fall will be the first year for a real art program at our school. We
      are putting together the supply list that will go home with each child at
      the end of this year (school supplies that they will be required to
      supply...pencils, kleenex, folders, etc.). I plan to include an art smock
      of some sort (Dad's old t-shirt or button-up shirt or ?). What do you all
      recommend for this and what other supplies might be feasible to include. I
      was thinking of including a small set of colored Sharpies from each
      child,...or colored from some grades and black from others...we will share
      all...(or is this too much?). I could use some recommendations.

      Thanks again!
      Patti

    • Hillmer, Jan
      Message 2 of 26 , May 5, 2005
        Hi Patti,

        When I taught in public school, I added one type of supply to each grade
        level list, so I had more or less enough of various things. For
        example, I asked kindergarten to contribute a pack of 12 x 18
        construction paper, 1st grade to contribute 24 count crayons, 2nd grade
        - colored pencils, 3rd grade - white glue, 4th grade - watercolors, etc.
        If you talk to the classroom teachers in advance, perhaps they will add
        your supply to their list (it always worked better for me this way) and
        then at the beginning of the year, I gave the teachers a box to collect
        the 'art supply' items, which I then collected. All grade levels used
        most of the supplies, but I did always try to use that class's supply
        item with a project for the same grade level during the year.

        If you do this, be sure to list the brand name you prefer -otherwise you
        get that really cheap nasty stuff. Also, try to ask for names that are
        easily obtainable at Target, Walmart, etc.

        It really helped to give my classroom a selection of supplies which
        everyone could use, without a big financial strain on any one group of
        students.

        Jan

[...]

        _____

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Patricia Jones Brigman
        Message 3 of 26 , May 5, 2005
          Jan,
          Thanks for the great advice! I think I will be asking each grade level for
          a different item. Our school prints out a list which includes each grade
          level. This goes home with the kids on the last day of school and is also
          displayed for parents at the local Walmart. I think I will head there after
          school today and make my list. Did you have a specific art pencil that you
          preferred or did they use a regular school pencil (I like
          Dixon-Ticonderoga)? What did you use for art smocks? Our classroom
          teachers ask for glue and watercolors so I may just leave those items in
          their room, or would you recommend doubling up? Thank you, thank you and...

[...]

          To visit your group on the web, go to:

        • KATHY TROTT
          Message 4 of 26 , May 5, 2005
            I used my older sons outgrown T-shirts for art smocks (Goodwill gets
            them from with logos on them from groups like BSA or churches that they
            can't use and they will usually give them to you). I liked primary
            pencils for drawing because no one tried to keep them and the lead is
            soft. If you use the watercolors from the classroom, ask the teacher to
            specify Prang brand. You could order some refills of the primary colors
            to add as needed.

            >>> pbrigman@... 05/05/05 12:28PM >>>

            Message 5 of 26 , May 5, 2005
              Hi Patti,

              All of the info about your art room supply start-up is partly tempered
              by the amount of budget you get.

              In public school, I had to stretch every penny to the max. My art budget
              was amazingly small. I was (still am) cheap, a dumpster diver and a
              scrounger. If I discovered that a parent could easily make donations
              (i.e. left over pens+ pencils from conventions, wood scraps, rolls of
              paper), I was sure to ask them if they could help me out.

              Maybe you could ask for smocks from one grade level in addition to
              whatever they purchase. You don't want too many - storage issues!

              Unless you do special drawing with value studies, etc, a regular
              classroom pencil will be fine. I used to haunt the halls after school
              and pick up any left on the floor - the kids seemed to find pencils very
              disposable, but they still cost $ to me! Erasers were also a big issue.
              I ended up buying a few packs of those pens that go on sale in the fall
              10 for a $!.00. Then on some days, we'd only draw with those pens
              (Papermates with the white outside are my fav!) The students got to
              really love them, and interestingly, their need to erase diminished
              somewhat.

              As far as the glue and watercolors, ask for it - you can never have
              enough. If you have enough for 2 years (you'll know at the end of the
              1st year), ask for something different from that grade level the
              following year.

              Early on, I also used lots of copy paper - the one thing I did not have
              to buy or pay for via my budget.

              Also, our phone system at school was changed one year - I begged for all
              of the left over wire - we had enough to do wire sculptures as well as
              bind our sketchbooks!

              Starting an art room can be challenging, but fun! Be creative, but keep
              an eye out for the basics!

              This list is the very best!

              Jan

              Message 6 of 26 , May 5, 2005
                Jan...
                More great advice...thanks! One thing...I will be on a cart, which is why I
                am planning to ask for smocks from each student (there is always a head lice
                issue) so each child will have their own. I expect to have a little "art
                corner" in each room where they will keeps smocks and portfolios. This will
                be different room to room I am sure...depending on the teacher. I would
                love my own room, but for now I am content. We'll see how I feel in a year!

                :)

                Message 7 of 26 , May 5, 2005
                  --- Patricia Jones Brigman <pbrigman@...> wrote:

                  > This fall will be the first year for a real art program at our
                  > school. What do
                  > you all recommend for this and what other supplies might be
                  >feasible to include.

                  Patty,
                  If I were in your shoes, I'd like them to have a big manilla
                  envelope to keep sketches in and a package of copy paper for
                  drawings. I'd add some No. 2 pencils and ALWAYS an eraser or two.
                  Having paper for drawing ideas and a way to keep the sketches
                  together can be a good foundation for any other projects to build
                  upon.

                  .....Carol-joyuzsong

                  Carol - joyuzsong

                  "Art, like morality, consists by drawing the line somewhere."
                  - G.K. Chesterton
                • Hillmer, Jan
                  Message 8 of 26 , May 5, 2005
                    Hi Patti,

                    Yikes! I didn't realize about the cart. If that's the case, you were
                    right about using the classroom sets of watercolors and other items, but
                    check with the teachers first - this year- to see if that will work with
                    them. Some teachers have their annual plan and know just how & how much
                    of each supply will be used. Other teachers just like to have a variety
                    of supplies available for projects as they arise. You are right, too
                    about everyone having their own smocks. Be sure to ask ahead about the
                    'art corner', too. Most teachers will probably be gracious about it,
                    but there might be a few that will be unhappy or just say no. I've not
                    been on a cart, but from what I understand, it's pretty important for
                    you to have a space - like a closet somewhere, where you can lock up
                    your supplies. Otherwise, the art cart might be the cart that folks
                    feel they can freely 'borrow' from.

                    Jan

                    * I will be on a cart, which is why I
                    am planning to ask for smocks from each student (there is always a head
                    lice
                    issue) so each child will have their own. I expect to have a little
                    "art
                    corner" in each room where they will keeps smocks and portfolios.

                  • janahooks
                    Message 9 of 26 , May 5, 2005
                      Hello, Everyone! I am very new to the group and am jumping in on
                      Patti's conversation because I saw the dreaded "art on a cart." Me,
                      too, times two. Next year I will serve one elementary school for
                      the first two periods of the day and hopefully show up on time at
                      the second for five. No room at either. I am very concerned about
                      rooms without sinks, where to store portfolios (or should I just
                      grade as I go), and meaningful lesson plans that don't wreck
                      someone's room. Also, how do I integrate technology in such a
                      situation? I'd love to have my own lap-top and projector to lug
                      with me, but how do I get this funded? Is there a fantastic
                      art/cart site that you know of? I'm tired already...

                      Thanks,
                      jana

                      --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Hillmer, Jan" <hillmjan@b...>
                      wrote:
                      > Hi Patti,
                      >

                      > Yikes! I didn't realize about the cart. If that's the case, you
                      were
                      > right about using the classroom sets of watercolors and other
                      items, but
                      > check with the teachers first - this year- to see if that will
                      work with
                      > them. Some teachers have their annual plan and know just how &
                      how much
                      > of each supply will be used. Other teachers just like to have a
                      variety
                      > of supplies available for projects as they arise. You are right,
                      too
                      > about everyone having their own smocks. Be sure to ask ahead
                      about the
                      > 'art corner', too. Most teachers will probably be gracious about
                      it,
                      > but there might be a few that will be unhappy or just say no.
                      I've not
                      > been on a cart, but from what I understand, it's pretty important
                      for
                      > you to have a space - like a closet somewhere, where you can lock
                      up
                      > your supplies. Otherwise, the art cart might be the cart that
                      folks
                      > feel they can freely 'borrow' from.
                      >
                      > Jan
                      >

                      > * I will be on a cart, which is why I
                      > am planning to ask for smocks from each student (there is always a
                      head
                      > lice
                      > issue) so each child will have their own. I expect to have a
                      little
                      > "art
                      > corner" in each room where they will keeps smocks and portfolios.

                    • Jenny Watlington
                      Message 10 of 26 , May 5, 2005
                        I like T shirts for smocks, I keep them in a clothes basket and the kids can
                        get one if they feel like they need one. To me, button downs take too long
                        for the little ones to put on, even if they aren't buttoning. Plastic or
                        vinyl would probably be better to help avoid the potential for lice
                        transmission.
                        I love the fat red or blue "kindergarten" pencils. They have a wider
                        core (less trips to the pencil sharpener) and kids aren't as tempted to
                        "accidentally" walk out with them.

                        Peter
                      • Patricia Jones Brigman
                        Message 11 of 26 , May 5, 2005
                          I was wondering that about tee shirts vs button downs. I will ask for T's
                          only! I've never used the kindergarten pencils. What is the lead like...is
                          it soft enough to make nice dark lines? How do they come packaged? Great
                          advice...thanks!
                          patti

                        • michener64@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 26 , May 9, 2005
                            Sorry this is so late. Once again my computer was wiped out.
                            Watch for clearance from Walmart, Staples, etc. I got Prang watercolors
                            for 50 cents a piece, ELmer's glue 10 for a $1.00, etc. I, too, pick up all
                            wayward pencils and pens. Watercolors, sharpies, colored pencils and crayons
                            are a must. I love to show the kids how to layer the colors rather than just
                            coloring in like a coloring book. They are always amazed at the results.
                            Also, I love charcoal sticks and white chalk on brown paper bags. Paper
                            bags have more tooth than brown paper. It seems no matter what the kids draw,
                            it looks twice as good.
                            I use a piece of posterboard folded over for portfolios. The young ones
                            can staple, older ones can punch holes and tie with yarn, string, ribbon,
                            etc. Also tape a piece of paper on the front to make a pocket. Let them decorate
                            them and they will be proud to take car of them.
                            I spend all year collecting things at yard sales: bags of beads, yarn,
                            colored glue, frames, paper, etc., but only if they are really, really cheap.
                            Also cardboard, pringles and coffe cans for storage.
                            I've been known to pick up stacks of discarded announcements on colored
                            paper to use the back side (such as auction announcements, etc). Garages use
                            those large rolls of paper to lay down on the carpet when they are working on
                            cars. Think about who you know that you can ask to donate items.

                            Tina

                          • Patricia Jones Brigman
                            Message 13 of 26 , May 11, 2005
                              I am still working on the list to go home with parents on the last day. I
                              have broken down my supply requests by grade level and so far am including
                              pencils, Sharpie markers, Elmer's glue, erasers, baby wipes, and glue
                              sticks. Do any of you use the glue sticks?...what are your pros-cons on
                              this item? Also, can any of you get Prang watercolors at Walmart? All ours
                              has is Crayola and Roseart, but I want Prang. I was thinking of requesting
                              our local Walmart to stock this item for the new school year.

                              Thanks again. I appreciate everyone's fabulous advice!
                              Patti

                            • Jenny Watlington
                              Message 14 of 26 , May 11, 2005
                                I tried glue sticks once in the class and many of the 3rd graders got
                                frustrated because things kept falling off of their collages. I think they
                                were crayola. I use Elmers and keep a bottle of wood glue around for
                                certain things and a bottle of "allene's (sp) tacky glue" for things that
                                need to set up quickly and not drip. I love the pointy top on that tacky
                                glue and I may start putting elmers in those clear bottles Sax sells that
                                have that same pointy spout.

                                Peter
                              • Patricia Jones Brigman
                                Message 15 of 26 , May 11, 2005
                                  Great idea on switching glue containers! I hate the mess of Elmers and
                                  personally prefer rubber cement, but that is out of the question with our
                                  kids. My problem with Elmers is not only the mess, but it can distort the
                                  item being glued. I will have to figure this one out through trial and
                                  error. I think I WILL try switching bottles, though. Thanks!

                                  Message 16 of 26 , May 11, 2005
                                    What do you use baby wipes for, and why Prang? Have you found it to be a
                                    better quality/ In what way?
                                    Renah Bell

                                  • klpoos@hometel.com
                                    Message 17 of 26 , May 13, 2005
                                      This fall will be the first year for a real art program at our school
                                      > We
                                      > are putting together the supply list that will go home with each child at

                                      the end of this year (

                                      Hi Patti, here is what I required my students to have for art. box of
                                      crayons, bottle of Elmers glue, scissors, ruler, pencils and erasers, box
                                      of markers, colored pencils, paint shirt- a trash bag works good- cut a
                                      hole at the top for head and fold and cut two hole in the sides for
                                      arms....
                                    • klpoos@hometel.com
                                      Message 18 of 26 , May 13, 2005
                                        Do any of you use the glue sticks?...what are your pros-cons on
                                        > this item?

                                        Glue sticks are TERRIBLE and will not hold one sheet to another . DO NOT
                                        get glue sticks. Get Elmer's Glue. the papers come apart when using glue
                                        sticks... nice but not for use in the art room. The glue does NOT HOLD !!!
                                      • Hillmer, Jan
                                        Message 19 of 26 , May 13, 2005
                                          I agree!!

                                          Do any of you use the glue sticks?...what are your pros-cons on
                                          > this item?

                                          Glue sticks are TERRIBLE and will not hold one sheet to another . DO NOT
                                          get glue sticks. Get Elmer's Glue. the papers come apart when using
                                          glue
                                          sticks... nice but not for use in the art room. The glue does NOT HOLD
                                          !!!

                                          _____

                                          Yahoo! Groups Links

                                        • Susan McKenna-Macumber
                                          Message 20 of 26 , May 13, 2005
                                            On 5/13/05 12:53 PM, "Hillmer, Jan" <hillmjan@...> wrote:

                                            > I agree!!

                                            I am new to the list, but have been teaching for 11 years and I just
                                            discovered a great way to do papermaking with the little guys! I am so
                                            excited with the amount of time I have learned to save myself.
                                            Another teacher gets me tubs from a local hospital so they are not too big
                                            and not too small, the molds are 4x4 wooden frames with screen on them-no
                                            deckle. I put old sheets (donated from a local motel) on the tables as
                                            their work surface. I have them couch onto a piece of matt board (also
                                            donated by a local framing shop). The matt board is my big time saver! It
                                            soaks up enough of the water and does not make nearly the mess that
                                            newspaper does. At the end of the day I spread out all of the matt boards
                                            onto the floor and they dry out overnight. I have even left the paper on
                                            for a few days because they are easier to store than the loose sheets. The
                                            kids will use their paper to make a book. We will staple on one side and
                                            then glue a half sheet over their staples. Very cool!
                                            Susan in Iowa

                                          • Susan McKenna-Macumber
                                            Message 21 of 26 , May 13, 2005
                                              > Sorry for the previous message, hope this one goes through better! :)
                                              >> >

                                              > I am new to the list, but have been teaching for 11 years and I just
                                              > discovered a great way to do papermaking with the little guys! I am so
                                              > excited with the amount of time I have learned to save myself.
                                              > Another teacher gets me tubs from a local hospital so they are not too big
                                              > and not too small, the molds are 4x4 wooden frames with screen on them-no
                                              > deckle. I put old sheets (donated from a local motel) on the tables as
                                              > their work surface. I have them couch onto a piece of matt board (also
                                              > donated by a local framing shop). The matt board is my big time saver! It
                                              > soaks up enough of the water and does not make nearly the mess that
                                              > newspaper does. At the end of the day I spread out all of the matt boards
                                              > onto the floor and they dry out overnight. I have even left the paper on
                                              > for a few days because they are easier to store than the loose sheets. The
                                              > kids will use their paper to make a book. We will staple on one side and
                                              > then glue a half sheet over their staples. Very cool!
                                              > Susan in Iowa

                                              > Yahoo! Groups Links
                                              > *
                                              > *
                                              > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                                            • katday2001
                                              Message 22 of 26 , May 14, 2005
                                                I agree about the glue sticks. I use them myself, when I need to cut
                                                and paste a mailer or handout. Kids leave off the lids or press too
                                                hard and, even if they worked, they get used up and dry out too
                                                quickly! Kat

                                                Message 23 of 26 , May 14, 2005
                                                  The lady who wrote "The Art of Teaching Art To Children" suggests
                                                  putting white glue into baby food jars and supplying cheap paint
                                                  brushes, which you put in a jar of water at the end of class- no
                                                  need to rinse out every day. I used yogurt containers, and this
                                                  ended the problem of glue bottles that didn't work and brushes were
                                                  much easier for my younger students to manage. I think they enjoy
                                                  the paint-like feeling of it, too. I have used the purchased glue
                                                  bottles, too, and plan to buy more (since all my Elmers bottles are
                                                  toast and I plan to only buy glue by the gallon). The kids found
                                                  these bottles much easier to get glue from and request them over the
                                                  Elmers bottles. Just be sure to get the kind with the lid that stays
                                                  attached.

                                                  --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Patricia Jones Brigman"
                                                  <pbrigman@s...> wrote:
                                                  > Great idea on switching glue containers! I hate the mess of Elmers
                                                  and
                                                  > personally prefer rubber cement, but that is out of the question
                                                  with our
                                                  > kids. My problem with Elmers is not only the mess, but it can
                                                  distort the
                                                  > item being glued. I will have to figure this one out through trial
                                                  and
                                                  > error. I think I WILL try switching bottles, though. Thanks!

                                                  Service.

                                                • Maude Ruesch
                                                  Message 24 of 26 , May 14, 2005
                                                    I use Elmers in stancups with metal handled stiff bristle brushes for my 5's
                                                    and it works well. Only the occasional child can manage to get enough glue
                                                    on the brush to make a trail across everything. We did lots of collages
                                                    this year and even they liked the brush method better.
                                                    Maude in VA

                                                    <pbrigman@s...> wrote:
                                                    > Great idea on switching glue containers! I hate the mess of Elmers
                                                    and
                                                    > personally prefer rubber cement, but that is out of the question
                                                    with our
                                                    > kids. My problem with Elmers is not only the mess, but it can
                                                    distort the
                                                    > item being glued. I will have to figure this one out through trial
                                                    and
                                                    > error. I think I WILL try switching bottles, though. Thanks!

                                                    Service.

                                                    Yahoo! Groups Links
                                                  • michener64@aol.com
                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Jun 4 8:56 PM
                                                      Patti,

                                                      Our local Wal-mart discontinued Prang watercolors last year. They were
                                                      marked down on clearance and I bought the last 10 or so they had. (I prefer
                                                      Prang and won't use Roseart at all)
                                                      I keep some glue sticks for my students. If they ask for them, I explain
                                                      that I do not recommend it as they don't seem to hold well, and I suggest
                                                      they use Elmers, wood, or whatever is appropriate. If I have a stubborn (or
                                                      lazy) student who insists on a glue stick, I let them use it. They may end up
                                                      having to redo it with another glue later, but I figure they've learned a
                                                      lesson from experience and won't soon forget it.

                                                      Tina M.

                                                      Do any of you use the glue sticks?...what are your pros-cons on
                                                      this item? Also, can any of you get Prang watercolors at Walmart? All ours
                                                      has is Crayola and Roseart, but I want Prang. I was thinking of requesting
                                                      our local Walmart to stock this item for the new school year.

                                                      Thanks again. I appreciate everyone's fabulous advice!
                                                      Patti

                                                    • Judy
                                                      Message 26 of 26 , Jun 5 8:21 AM
                                                        Hi Patti,
                                                        I also use Prang. I purchase them through Nasco catalog. Their prices are
                                                        always good and I buy the refills so I just keep using the same box and
                                                        replace colors as needed. I've kept the same boxes for over 5 years so far.
                                                        I never use glue sticks. I found I was being a glue Nazi with them. I was
                                                        finding them frequently ruined and their effectiveness is so poor and yet
                                                        expensive. I finally just tell the kids that if they want glue sticks they
                                                        can bring them in.
                                                        Hope that helps.
                                                        Judy B