RE: [art_education] Re: NYC Tragedy

  • D. Camp
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 18, 2001
      I live in the Seattle area, far from the chaos of NY and VA.  Here most kids had heard and seen the news before they ever left for school.  At our house the alarm went off at 5:30am, we heard that a plane had crashed into one of the towers.  We did not turn on the TV immediately, not completely sure why...probably because we never turn the TV on that early.  About 6:00 am our phone started ringing, it was my brother in Japan, they had been watching the news and had seen the second plane crash. He was thinking it was 5:00 here and figured we were all still asleep and wanted us to know what was happening.   Our school for the most part tried to keep a normal schedule.  They always do a schoolwide Pledge of Allegiance.  They sent home a letter Tuesday afternoon with pointers for talking to your children and helping them cope with tragedies such as this.  On Friday, following the Pledge there was a moment of silence.  The older students have organized a schoolwide fund drive for the Red Cross. One second grade class drew pictures and wrote letters to students in NY.  Although each class and teacher has been left to handle the situations as they see fit, but they have also shared ideas, etc.with each other.