Add to the mix - definition of original

  • Judith Decker
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 7, 2005
      I left out definition of original,

      My other definitions all came from ArtLex - I will
      also include the Copyrigh definition.

      original - Any work considered to be an authentic
      example of the works of an artist, rather than a
      reproduction or imitation.... Not derived from
      something else.

      originality - The quality of being original. Used to
      describe works which were not derived from other
      works. It has strongly influenced art historians'
      identification of what artists and artworks are most
      highly regarded.
      http://www.artlex.com/

      Legal definition of original:

      Copyright protects "original works of authorship". A
      work composed firsthand as the product of an author's
      creativity - A work must be an original in order to
      obtain a copyright.

      What sparked my interest was the number of Getty
      members who posted that they saw work in art shows
      copied from photographs when rules for the show
      clearly stated work must be original... I feel the
      teacher is to blame for that, not the students.
      Copying photographs is indeed a valuable skills
      lesson, however, work should not be displayed as
      original.

      Incredible Art Resources

      http://mail.yahoo.com