Re: [art_education] Copyright Guidlines

  • Kris Fontes
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 7, 2005
      This may seem really oversimplified and I really haven't been following this thread....
      But a graphic design teacher of mine said if you change 3 major things in a piece, it is allowed.
      ANy response?

      I think this is probably not true...and who set three as the magic number?
      a.. Right after 9/11, I had my graphic design students create a photo-montage, using images from the Internet, of the events of the day. I thought it was a good way for them to express their feelings. I knew, and they knew, that the images did not belong to us. We displayed them in the school only and gave credit to the newspapers,television stations, etc.
      b.. Fast forward to an issue in either School Arts or Arts and Activities and a lesson on the same theme using images from the Internet. The teacher in that article said something to the effect of "manipulate the image enough so that it is no longer the original"! Please! What message does that send? What was the magazine editor thinking?
      c.. Don't get me wrong...I'm not above using the work of artists like Keith Haring...but I do look for the work of artists like Barry Kite, who encourages us to use his images and even send him our interpretations.
      d.. In this month's School Arts there is a wonderful article by Hope Irvine, chairwoman of Art Ed at Syracuse University which speaks to the issue of "in the style of" lessons.
      e.. Also, almost every lesson in the magazine, including mine, are based on the work of some artist or some movement...curious. But I guess it's what we do with it that matters, I was looking for patterns and density, Klimt's work embodied that for me, so I used his work to get the point across. I could have used any number of artists, but he's one of my favorites and the kids love working in GOLD.

      Kris Fontes

      Brenda

      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 8, 2005
        I have reading all of these post because it is one thing that I
        struggle with here, the teacher before me was big on magazine drawings.
        I however, discourage this, I simply tell them that is another artist
        work and idea, they created the composition, not you, by now they know
        exactly what I am going to say and they don't ask. I let them collage
        images, that way they are creating the composition, then they
        paint/draw them, or use them as reference when drawing lets say an
        elephant or something they don't see everyday. I work from photos all
        the time, I have digital camera that I take everywhere, so this year I
        had my painting students and independent study students do a photo
        scavenger hunt. They had a list of pictures they had to take,
        generally themed, and then they had 10 free choice pictures. They used
        these the rest of the year for there assignments and it worked really
        well. Some used bits and pieces of the photos, some used them as a
        whole, but they thought about the composition when taking the picture
        and when painting it.
        Another problem is with my advanced printmaking students and their tee
        shirt designs, many of them want to pay homage to their favorite
        actors, bands etc. by copying their album covers, of course I told them
        no, but they really don't understand why, and sometimes they really
        don't get it! One thing I do let them use is clipart.com. We have a
        school license to use the site and all the images, clip art and photos
        are copyright free. This might me something you look into. I use it
        all the time when we are doing landscapes, I have them stipple and
        crosshatch fish that I printed off the website as well.
        There are copyright free resources out there, you just need to know
        where to look.

        Hope this helps!

        Tanya
      • craftamericanstyle
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 8, 2005
          The following is a great site to learn more about copyright http://www.csusa.org/face/,
          it also has a special link just for kids!

          I work with professional artists and we recommend that artists issue a legal copyright
          at http://www.copyright.gov/. It's only $30 to register – really inexpensive when you
          think about how deep you can dig in your pockets for legal fees if you ever faced such
          an issue of knock-off or copyright infringement. If you do know anyone who needs to
          contact a lawyer, you may want to suggest Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts (available
          in most states) as an option.
          -Debra-

          Debra Anderson
          Public Affairs Coordinator