High School Hands Drawing idea

  • Judith Decker
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 3, 2005
      Greetings Art Educators,

      I have added one of Dave Haines' student drawings to
      the Hands Idea page (scroll down to the Signing hands
      lesson):
      http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/Files/hands.htm

      I will be adding a lesson plan on IAD for this project
      soon. Here is Dave's explanation:

      1. develop good 3-d quality contour drawings
      of 5 different hand poses (have not tried the signing
      idea with this). We do these on newsprint and go
      through the stages of blind contour, continuous
      line and modified contours.

      2. The five best drawings are assembled
      onto a newsprint 'working drawing' composition.

      3. Letters (student name or initials) are developed
      from various font resources (lettering books,
      etc.)....These are added to the negative space.

      4. This composition is transferred onto Canson paper
      in pencil (any quality colored paper could be used)

      5. Color is painted with tempera (the negative spaces
      and letters) by mixing colors that provide a nice
      contrast with the chosen paper color.

      6. Once completed, outlining is done with fine point
      Sharpie.

      Dave teaches at Grafton High (Grafton, WV).

      I am inviting more to share lesson ideas. I have many
      idea pages already started (not all are linked to the
      Ideas page - I am waiting for more to add). I know
      many of you do not have to submit formal lessons plans
      - so this is a much easier way to share.

      Incredible Art Resources

      http://personals.yahoo.com