Re: [art_education] re: plagerism and high school art students

  • Kelli Wilke
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 2, 2005
      I think that there can be a lot to learn from copying a piece of artwork. Obviously, profitting from a plagerized piece of work is wrong, but as long as it is used for educational purposes only, I don't see anything wrong with it. Now don't get me wrong, I encourage my student to seek individuality and creativity in their artwork. When I show examples, my kids always want to copy mine and call it their own so that often sparks a big discussion on what's right and wrong when it comes to copying art. I don't know, maybe I am in the minority on this one, but copying can teach students to sharply analyze a piece of artwork and pay attention to detail and those are skills I'd like to see more of in my students.

      Kelli Wilke

      Chris Estey <cmestey@...> wrote:

      Dear Colleagues:
      I have volunteered to serve on a committee at my high school called the
      "academic integrity committee" as a representative of the art department.
      This is an important is an important issue especially with computers being
      so widely used in all aspects of education now. Where do you draw the line
      in an art room? How do you define plagiarism in relationship to art in your
      high school? I'd love to know what your ideas are before my first meeting
      this Tuesday. I will appreciate any responses I get.
      Thanks,
      Chris from Massachusetts

      Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Renah Bell
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 2, 2005
        When I took an art class on color theory in college the final project was
        to copy a work of art and try to duplicate the colors. In a drawing class we
        were assigned to copy the work of a fine artist. Trying out which techniques
        would work on each of these projects was an enormous learning experience.
        Renah B.