ART: HISTORY: Teaching History through Art

  • Judith Decker
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 2, 2005
      Greetings All,

      David Dillard (Net Gold list) showed interest in a
      post I made about teaching history and art as a
      collaborative effort. I was just curious to see what I
      could find online on this topic.

      Here is a New York Times Lesson Plan
      Cultural "Art"-ifacts: Learning About World Cultures
      Through Art
      http://www.nytimes.com/learning/teachers/lessons/20030328friday.html

      Home-schoolers might be interested in the book:
      Teaching History Through Art
      Price: $19.95 - $20.95
      Author: Rich & Sharon Jeffus
      Publisher: Visual Manna
      Hands on fun projects follow each lesson. Bronze foil
      included for study of bronze age art project. Lessons
      on Renaissance science, clothing, food, sculpturing,
      and drama are also included.

      I found many resources available for Home-schoolers to
      purchase.

      Last year, Grace Hall worked interdisciplinary with
      American History teacher in designing her high school
      art lessons. All art teachers know the value of
      integrating art and history. It is sometimes hard to
      influence the history/social studies teachers.
      Learning art history made history come alive for me.
      Now I find the two inseparable. That is why I
      developed my art resources web site.

      Of course, there are many individual lessons on
      Incredible Art Department integrating art and history.

      Incredible Art Resources

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail