Plagiarism in High School Art - encouraged by many teachers

  • Judith Decker
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 2, 2005
      Greetings Art Educators,

      Unfortunately, plagiarism in art is encouraged by many
      teachers. How many of you have seen drawings in art
      shows that you know came from photographs? Yes, I know
      the students are "changing" it somewhat as they are
      drawing or painting the image - but still very little
      alteration is done. What about the classroom where
      students simply put a photograph in the opaque
      projector and trace? I think many of us have seen that
      done.

      Plagiarism comes up every year on Getty list. This is
      one thread I got to come up in Google:
      http://www.getty.edu/artsednet/hm/Feb02/index.html#1093

      There was a recent thread about "integrety of art
      teachers" that touched upon this topic - but I can't
      find it now.

      I found some school policies on plagiarism when I
      searched plagiarism in high school art. In my opinion,
      when a student plagiarizes work in art class, the
      teacher is to blame more than the student. It depends
      on the objectives of the lesson, too - how the lesson
      is done - media choices.

      Incredible Art Resources

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
    • Susan Bennett