re: plagerism and high school art students

  • Chris Estey
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 2, 2005
      Dear Colleagues:
      I have volunteered to serve on a committee at my high school called the
      "academic integrity committee" as a representative of the art department.
      This is an important is an important issue especially with computers being
      so widely used in all aspects of education now. Where do you draw the line
      in an art room? How do you define plagiarism in relationship to art in your
      high school? I'd love to know what your ideas are before my first meeting
      this Tuesday. I will appreciate any responses I get.
      Thanks,
      Chris from Massachusetts

    • Kelli Wilke
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 2, 2005
        I think that there can be a lot to learn from copying a piece of artwork. Obviously, profitting from a plagerized piece of work is wrong, but as long as it is used for educational purposes only, I don't see anything wrong with it. Now don't get me wrong, I encourage my student to seek individuality and creativity in their artwork. When I show examples, my kids always want to copy mine and call it their own so that often sparks a big discussion on what's right and wrong when it comes to copying art. I don't know, maybe I am in the minority on this one, but copying can teach students to sharply analyze a piece of artwork and pay attention to detail and those are skills I'd like to see more of in my students.

        Kelli Wilke

        Chris Estey <cmestey@...> wrote:

        Dear Colleagues:
        I have volunteered to serve on a committee at my high school called the
        "academic integrity committee" as a representative of the art department.
        This is an important is an important issue especially with computers being
        so widely used in all aspects of education now. Where do you draw the line
        in an art room? How do you define plagiarism in relationship to art in your
        high school? I'd love to know what your ideas are before my first meeting
        this Tuesday. I will appreciate any responses I get.
        Thanks,
        Chris from Massachusetts

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Renah Bell
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 2, 2005
          When I took an art class on color theory in college the final project was
          to copy a work of art and try to duplicate the colors. In a drawing class we
          were assigned to copy the work of a fine artist. Trying out which techniques
          would work on each of these projects was an enormous learning experience.
          Renah B.