Source for Digital Images - NYPL Digital Gallery

  • Judith Decker
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 2 8:55 AM
      Greetings Art Educators,

      I found this resource recommended in the Teaching
      History with Technology Newletter.

      New York Public Library Digital Gallery:
      http://digitalgallery.nypl.org/nypldigital/index.cfm

      You DO have permission to use these images in your
      classroom, however - you may NOT publish any of them
      on a web site or any other kind of publication. There
      is a $30.00 fee per image for publication rights. I
      particularly liked the fish illustrations (from early
      1800's)

      The NYPDL is The New York Public Library's new image
      database. The Gallery provides access to over 275,000
      searchable images digitized from primary sources and
      printed rarities in the collections of The New York
      Public Library, including illuminated manuscripts,
      historical maps, vintage posters, rare prints and
      photographs, illustrated books, printed ephemera, and
      more. Highlights of the History & Geography collection
      include 16th-century maps and drawings depicting the
      landing of European explorers in the Western
      Hemisphere; contemporaneous engravings of battle
      scenes of the American Revolution; portraits of
      African Americans in the mid-19th century; photographs
      recording the westward progress of the American
      transcontinental railroad; sheet music covers and
      restaurant menus from the 1890s; and photographs of
      Depression-era New York City by Lewis Hine and
      Berenice Abbott.

      I subscribed to receive this newsletter:
      http://thwt.org/newsletterh6.htm
      It is produced by Tom Daccord - webmaster of Best of
      History Web Sites.

      I will be adding a link to NYPDL on the pages for
      Public Domain Images.

      Incredible Art Resources

      http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250