MESOPOTAMIA: EARLY WRITING: Cuneiform Tablets

  • Judith Decker
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 2 8:04 AM
      Dear Art Educators,

      Here is a site to share with middle school social
      studies. At my former school, sixth graders study
      Mesopotamia. Site was posted to Net Gold list.

      Cuneiform Tablets - From the Library of Congress
      http://international.loc.gov/intldl/cuneihtml/

      Many high quality images. I browsed by title.

      Find out more about the collection:
      Cuniform Tablets: About the Collection
      http://international.loc.gov/intldl/cuneihtml/about.html
      ------------------------------------
      You could do something interdisciplinary with social
      studies. I did foil tooling as an art project and gave
      social studies teachers clay and some scratch sticks
      to do their own cuneiform. I fired their clay projects
      for them.

      I have one of my foil tooling project on IAD:
      http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/leann-copper.htm
      Scroll down (or click link at top).
      The ceramic plates have border designs made from
      handmade cylindar seals. We made our cylindar seals
      from air dry clay to save time. Seals made this way
      will deteriorate if they get wet - but they lasted
      just fine for this project. I kept the ones I made and
      used them for many years.

      Another project we did was foil tooled boxes. A
      cardboard box was made and the foil wrapped over that.
      Our boxes were about 4" square. My box template fit on
      8 1/2 x 11 photocopy paper....with the actual foil
      being made a tad bit larger (1/4 inch tabs made) to
      fold over the edges of the box. Students designed the
      sides - top and bottom of the box on the photocopy
      template.

      Incredible Art Resources

      http://mail.yahoo.com