Hi and Elliot Eisner

  • Monica
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 4, 2005
      Dear art educators,

      My name is Mónica and I have just joined the list. I am a teacher and am
      about to get my univ. degree in Psicopedagogia. I am from Buenos Aires,
      Argentina. At present, I am doing research on giftedness and talent and I am
      focused on multiple intelligences. I am also very interested in the art
      experience as a way of growing and having experiences that can´t be acquired
      by any other means.

      I would very much like to ask if anyone knows about Elliot Eisner, an art
      prof. at Stanford University. He has stated seven ways of knowing. I am
      interested in these ways of knowing but I can´t find where (in which book)
      Eisner talks about them. So, if anyone happens to know the book where Eisner
      talks about these seven ways of knowing, I would be grateful if you could
      please email me.

      I must say I am impressed by the movement of the list and by its quality !

      Thank you very much in advance for your help and attention,

      Mónica
      monica@...

    • Ken Rohrer
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 4, 2005
        Monica,

        Welcome to the group! I heard Elliot Eisner speak back
        in the 1970s. I found the following Eisner books for
        sale at amazon.com:

        The Arts and the Creation of Mind -- by Elliot Eisner;
        Paperback
        Buy new: $18.00 -- Used & new from: $17.09

        The Arts and the Creation of Mind -- by Elliot Eisner,
        Elliot W. Eisner; Hardcover
        Buy new: $38.00 -- Used & new from: $38.06

        The Kind of Schools We Need : Personal Essays -- by
        Elliot W. Eisner; Paperback
        Buy new: $23.00 -- Used & new from: $12.00

        Enlightened Eye, The: Qualitative Inquiry and the
        Enhancement of Educational Practice -- by Elliot W.
        Eisner; Paperback
        Buy new: $29.00 -- Used & new from: $25.95

        The Educational Imagination: On the Design and
        Evaluation of School Programs (3rd Edition) -- by
        Elliot W. Eisner; Paperback
        Buy new: $66.67 -- Used & new from: $48.95

        Ken

        My name is M�nica and I have just joined the list. I
[...]

        M�nica
        monica@...

        __________________________________
        Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!
      • Monica
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 4, 2005
          Hi Ken,
          Thank you very much for your welcome, for the quick answer and help.
          Now, I am trying to find out in which book Eisner talks about the seven ways
          of knowing.
          I also would like to thank the people from the list that e-mailed me
          privately.
          It seems there is very open and kind people here, so I want to stay !
          Thank you again,
          Mónica A. Pastorino
          monica@...

          Welcome to the group! I heard Elliot Eisner speak back in the 1970s. I found
          the following Eisner books for sale at amazon.com:

          The Arts and the Creation of Mind -- by Elliot Eisner; Paperback Buy new:
          $18.00 -- Used & new from: $17.09

          The Arts and the Creation of Mind -- by Elliot Eisner, Elliot W. Eisner;
          Hardcover Buy new: $38.00 -- Used & new from: $38.06

          The Kind of Schools We Need : Personal Essays -- by Elliot W. Eisner;
          Paperback Buy new: $23.00 -- Used & new from: $12.00

          Enlightened Eye, The: Qualitative Inquiry and the Enhancement of Educational
          Practice -- by Elliot W.
          Eisner; Paperback
          Buy new: $29.00 -- Used & new from: $25.95

          The Educational Imagination: On the Design and Evaluation of School Programs
          (3rd Edition) -- by Elliot W. Eisner; Paperback Buy new: $66.67 -- Used &
          new from: $48.95

          Ken

          My name is Msnica and I have just joined the list. I am a teacher and am
          about to get my univ. degree in Psicopedagogia. I am from Buenos Aires,
          Argentina. At present, I am doing research on giftedness and talent and I am
          focused on multiple intelligences. I am also very interested in the art
          experience as a way of growing and having experiences that can4t be acquired
          by any other means.

          I would very much like to ask if anyone knows about Elliot Eisner, an art
          prof. at Stanford University. He has stated seven ways of knowing. I am
          interested in these ways of knowing but I can4t find where (in which
          book)
          Eisner talks about them. So, if anyone happens to know the book where Eisner
          talks about these seven ways of knowing, I would be grateful if you could
          please email me.

          I must say I am impressed by the movement of the list and by its quality !

          Thank you very much in advance for your help and attention,

          Msnica
          monica@...

          __________________________________
          Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!

          ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> In
          low income neighborhoods, 84% do not own computers.
          http://us.click.yahoo.com/S.QlOD/3MnJAA/Zx0JAA/PcIolB/TM
        • Michelle Chick
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 10, 2005
            M�nica,

            Welcome first off!

            Here are a few sources that might be helpful for you if you need more let me know, I am sure that I have more books around here that could be of some help.

            Eisner, Elliot, W. (1994 06 01, Summer). Commentary: Putting multiple intelligences in context: Some questions and observations. Teachers College Record, 95(4), 555-560.

            Eisner, E. W. (1982). Cognition and curriculum: A basis for deciding what to teach. New York: Longman.

            Eisner, E. W. (1994). Cognition and curriculum reconsidered. New York: Teachers College Press.

            Gardner, H. (1983). Frames of mind: The theory of multiple intelligences. New York: BasicBooks.

            Sincerely,

            Michelle

            Monica <monica@...> wrote:
[...]

            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          • monica
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 15, 2005
              Hi Michelle !

              Thank you for your warm welcome !
              I am on holidays now, as I have just finished the last exam of my career. Now, I have to prepare the final work (a kind of thesis) and for that work I need to read Eisner. That`s the reason why I am searching this bibliography.
              When I come back to Buenos Aires, I will be letting you know if I need anything from those books. Thank you so much for your help.
              I have read "Frames of mind" and I already have it. Do you know?: Gardner has reformuled his theory and has issued a new book where he states two new more intelligences, so now, they are nine!
              Regarding the books "Cognition and Curriculum", they are already translated into Spanish, so I can get them easily. What I am sure, I do not have is the first book of the list and maybe I will be making you some questions on it. It seems it is very close to the subject of my thesis.
              I want to thank you very much for your kind help and attention and I am sure we will be getting in contact after Easter.
              Best regards !
              Mònica
              monica@...
              monicapastorino@...

[...]