Re: [art_education] Tragedy in NY

  • Ken Rohrer
    Message 1 of 22 , Sep 17, 2001
      Our students here are making American flags and they
      write a poem about the tragedy on each stripe. They
      are hanging flag mobiles in the hallways as well...
      ----------------------------------

    • tpersis@aol.com
      Message 2 of 22 , Sep 17, 2001
        i like the idea of the poem
        incorporated with the flag--
        thank you

        at this time i usually do a cityscape project with my fifth graders..
        I think i still will, and now there be so many new meanings created
        by what these children have experienced.
      • Ken Rohrer
        Message 3 of 22 , Sep 18, 2001
          Following are some children's pictures of the tragedy
          courtesy of http://www.kiddonet.com/

        • kc
          Message 4 of 22 , Sep 18, 2001
            > Following are some children's pictures of the tragedy
            > courtesy of http://www.kiddonet.com/

            ----

            ----

            ----
          • kc
            Message 5 of 22 , Sep 18, 2001
              Dear Ken, Hi, I'm a teacher from a small school from Maine. Thank you for
              sending the children's pictures. Children hit the core on how our school
              feels. Kim

              Message 6 of 22 , Sep 18, 2001
                > Following are some children's pictures of the tragedy
                > courtesy of http://www.kiddonet.com/

                ----

                ----

                ----
              • Sue Freeland
                Message 7 of 22 , Sep 19, 2001
                  Need your help!!cause you guys are the best! Can we put our heads together
                  and come up with one or more projects created by our art classes that would
                  make a difference and inspire people in our own towns?
                  I love the idea of an international protest and my students are currently
                  making posters for the Lion's Club Peace poster contest (incredible timing!)
                  Theme this year "Lighting the pathway to peace."
                  What I would like to do is some kind of permanent sculpture or mural or
                  whatever so that people will not forget those who died but also to
                  strengthen the ties that have brought us together even if it is in grief.
                  Strangers no longer walk by without acknowledgement. They look you in the
                  eye and the sentiment is there, a nod, a smile a sort of recognition of
                  another soul going through the same pain.
                  Sorry...it's getting late. But really, does anyone have a suggestion for
                  some kind of memorial like this...something that would be around a while?
                  Thanks,
                  Sue
                • DeAnn Hanisch
                  Message 8 of 22 , Oct 2, 2001
                    I'm not sure if this is along the lines you are
                    thinking, but have you looked at the quilt Faith
                    Ringgold created for the Oklahoma City Bombing? Her
                    work is so powerful! You may get some inspiration!

                    http://phone.yahoo.com
                  • Smileatsusan@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 22 , Oct 3, 2001
                      I'd love to see that site. We have an exhibit of Faith's coming to our
                      community this Winter!
                      -Susan
                    • Ken Rohrer
                      Message 10 of 22 , Oct 15, 2001
                        Hi all,
                        Teri Mason, who is helping me with the art site, sent
                        me this message a few days ago. She says she posted it
                        to this group but I don't remember reading it.

                        William Saunders Mason, IV "Liam"
                        born 10/08/01 9:33 am
                        6lbs, 13 oz
                        via emergency c-section, after 30 hrs of natural labor

                        I'm sure this will keep her busy and we won't be able
                        to update the art site much.
                        Ken

                        http://personals.yahoo.com