RE: [art_education] Digest Number 744

  • Sia Walker
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 4, 2005
      Tammy I know its hard. Believe me. I have been teaching for 3 years in a VERY difficult school district. The kids take a lot more to get motivated and its not always easy to get them going. I teach middle school art and sometimes thats the toughest there is. As long as they see that you know what you are talking about and are excited about what you do they will follow suit. The first couple of years are rough, I know. You are still unsure and that shows. Kids like flashy stuff. Its almost like you are an actor and they need to be enthralled with everything you say. Multimedia works. Lots of slides and powerpoints and things like that tend to work pretty well. But I know its easier to suggest than it is to implement.
      Good luck,
      Let me know if you need anything.
      Sia W-G (Prince Georges county MD)

      Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2005 19:52:30 GMT
      From: "go4art@..."
      Subject: Re: STUGGLING

      I believe helping students to be invested in the process helps. Let them set the criteria for a project -- typically they'll come up with the same things you're hoping for (maybe value, texture and composition for a charcoal still life)! Even have them choose the theme of the still life!

      Investigating their interests and environment and then incorporating those is important (i.e. want them to try impressionistic painting while investigating Monet? visit a nearby skate park, pond, etc and paint there or take photos to use back at school or make drawing/painting/print of their own bedroom and then compare van Gogh's and de Hooch's).

      By even asking the question I can see you are really trying to make it a great experience for the kids...your students are lucky to have you and your enthusiasm will show!

      all the best
      Creatively, Linda (in Oregon)

      Message: 7
      Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2005 13:40:36 -0800 (PST)
      From: Judith Decker
      Subject: Struggling - Lessons that motivate

      Greetings Tammy,

      There are many lessons on Incredible Art Department
      that can help you "hook" the kids.

      Post a grade level -- and media you wish to use and we
      can help you come up with a lesson that will motivate.

      http://mail.yahoo.com

      Message: 8
      Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2005 14:21:56 -0800 (PST)
      From: Judith Decker
      Subject: Nike "Art Shoes" Exhibit - White Dunk

      Greetings Art Educators,

      Luc Desdoigts sent me this web site:
      White Dunk:
      http://www.whitedunk.com/index2.html
      Works from exhibitions of Nike White Dunk over the
      world. Set your monitor to larger than 1024x728 - then
      maximize your window to view the exhibit. Luc sent me
      some photographs he took from the exhibit - but I can
      not post them. I will send them OFF LIST to anyone
      doing a unit on shoe art.

      IMPORTANT: Be sure to see this other anti-Nike site
      http://www.saigon.com/~nike/index.html
      Workers exploitated....poor working conditions...and
      more.

      =====
      Incredible Art Resources

      http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250

      Message: 9
      Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2005 14:51:47 -0800 (PST)
      From: Judith Decker
      Subject: Hands and Fish Motivate Elementary level - Tammy

      Greetings Art Educators,

      Tammy teaches grades K - 6.

      Hands and fish are themes that really motivate kids.
      It would be good if you could bring in some live fish
      for your fish units. See these two lesson idea pages:
      http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/Files/hands.htm
      http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/Files/fish.htm
      Those two pages are the most visited elementary plan
      pages.

      Names lessons motivate...many lesson ideas have been
      shared on IAD using student names.

      Eric Carle Lesson is always a winner:
      http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/elem/Linda-Carle.htm
      This is a popular lesson on IAD. All lessons that tie
      in literature motivate kids. Swimmy is a popular book
      for K-2.

      Check Linda Woods' site:
      http://www.sjs.org/stories/default.asp?L2=3
      Click Linda Woods - then LS Gallery - many good ideas.

      For more lessons that motivate - visit these list
      member sites:
      http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/4kids-4teach.htm

      Hope this gives you some direction.

      =====
      Incredible Art Resources

      http://mail.yahoo.com

      Message: 10
      Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2005 18:27:12 -0500
      From: "Jenny Watlington"

      Subject: Re: Last Call - Elementary Lesson Sharing Group - reply off list

      hey Judy, I am interested in the elem sharing group.I am Peter Pritchard in
      VA. I teach art k-5 and sp ed. peter.pritchard@... and
      pritchard1@... (summer). I am/was, a glassblower.

      I am not certain of the exact lesson I will be sharing right now, but it
      could be a K-Acting out Paintings, or 5th Future car design.

      Please include me in the sharing list.

      Peter

      Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2005 17:29:37 -0800 (PST)
      From: Michelle Chick

      Hey there,
      I am intersted in sharing lessons, My name is Michelle Chick, I don't have a classroom as yet I will finish my program in the spring, I live about 25 miles outside of Columbus, Ohio just minutes from Denision University. I can share some of the really good lessons that I did while student teaching 2-5.

      Michelle

      Jenny Watlington
      wrote:
      hey Judy, I am interested in the elem sharing group.I am Peter Pritchard in
      VA. I teach art k-5 and sp ed. peter.pritchard@... and
      pritchard1@... (summer). I am/was, a glassblower.

      I am not certain of the exact lesson I will be sharing right now, but it
      could be a K-Acting out Paintings, or 5th Future car design.

      Please include me in the sharing list.

      Peter

      > I am collecting names from these three lists for an
      > elementary lesson sharing group. I will get the file
      > sent out to all in a few days. To become a part of
      > this group, all you have to do is share one lesson
      > with everyone in the group (and that can come anytime
      > - even over the summer).
      >
      > Reply OFF LIST with answers to the following:
      >
      > Location (state or country):
      > First and last name:
      > Email address:
      > Summer email:
      > Are of "Expertise":
      > Grade levels taught:
      > Lesson to share:
      >
      > Some very good lessons have come from the middle
      > school and high school group. Only lessons with images
      > of student work will be added to IAD (but even those
      > do not have to be - you can request that your lesson
      > only be shared with the group).
      >
      > Lesson plans will no longer be shared in the Files for
      > Sharing folder on IAD. That folder has just gotten too
      > big. These groups provide a way to share with all
      > three lists. Of course, Art Education and
      > ArtsEducators members can share lesson plans on the
      > list web sites (attachments don't come through the
      > Yahoo group posts).
      >
      > Have a great week back with your kiddies.
      >
      > Judy Decker

      > http://my.yahoo.com
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

      Yahoo! Groups Links