Sam Cooke to Grace the Big Screen - Press Release w/ photo

  • Shani Byard
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 3, 2005
      Contact:
      Shani Byard
      UrbanRising
      310-491-3459
      teamurbanrising@...
      For Immediate Release:

      Sam Cooke to Grace the Big Screen at Lucy Florence - FAMLI, Inc. launches "I've Known Rivers" 2005

      Kicking off the New Year with class, FAMLI, Inc. and Lucy Florence have teamed up to offer the public a year-round, bi-weekly series, that chronicles the collective experiences of people of African descent in America and the diaspora. "I've Known Rivers" Video Screening and Discussion Series offers viewers an opportunity to view an extensive variety of documentaries, speeches, interviews and movies, while engaging in discussions of musical, cultural and social legacies.

      The life of Sam Cooke will be the first to hit the new State-of-the-Art, 8.1 Dolby Digital, DTS, THX Surround Sound System and Big Screen Projector in Lucy Florence's Village Theater. "Sam Cooke, Architect of Soul" will be screened on Wednesday, January 12, 2005 from 7-10pm at Lucy Florence, 3351 W. 43rd St., Los Angeles, Ca. 90008, in the historic Leimert Park Village. The video presentation will be hosted by Torrence Brannon Reese, founder of FAMLI, Inc. and the Annual Los Angeles Malcolm X Arts, Culture and Education Festival. A special guest live musical tribute by A capella Doo Wop group, Renaissance, will accompany the presentation as well. There will be a $3 donation requested at the door, which will support FAMLI's "See A Man, Be A Man" Male Mentor Project.

      The legend of Sam Cooke began in 1951 at the age of 19, when he replaced the great R.H. Harris, who retired as lead singer for America's premier gospel quintet, the Soul Stirrers. Sam sang with the Stirrers for six electrifying years until 1957, when he released his first successful single, "You Send Me". Bobby Womack, Johnny Taylor and Lou Rawls were among many dynamic artists who signed to Sam Cooke's record label in 1959. This ground-breaking documentary chronicles Sam's rise to musical royalty and ends with his unfortunate, untimely death in December 1964. It is a must see for all Sam Cooke fans and anyone interested in the majesty that is Soul music.

      The upcoming "I've Known Rivers" Video Screening & Discussion Series dates at Lucy Florence are as follows: 1/12, 1/26, 2/9, 2/23, 3/9 & 3/23, from 7-10pm. To receive bi-weekly updates, reminders and to RSVP, please contact UrbanRising at 310-491-3459 or email teamurbanrising@....

      The new Lucy Florence is a full-service, interactive coffee house, gallery, theatre/playhouse, providing networking & promotional opportunities for progressive individuals, companies and organizations, with an interest in the development of culture and arts in our community. We are located at 3351 W. 43rd St. Los Angeles, Ca. 90008. Operating hours are from 9am-11pm daily. Catering available. For more info: call 323-293-1356p, email: lucyflorence2@... or visit: www.leflorencegallery.com For Event/Screening Booking or Catering information, contact UrbanRising at 310-491-3459 or email: teamurbanrising@...

      UrbanRising

      Shani Byard, Producer

      ...the vehicle for our progressive urban culture

      Support Services for Independent Artists and Non-Profit organizations

      Promotions, Event Management, Photography & Television Production

      need assistance? new # ! 310-491-3459 f 310-491-3338