Re: [art_education] STUGGLING

  • go4art@juno.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 3, 2005
      I believe helping students to be invested in the process helps. Let them set the criteria for a project -- typically they'll come up with the same things you're hoping for (maybe value, texture and composition for a charcoal still life)! Even have them choose the theme of the still life!

      Investigating their interests and environment and then incorporating those is important (i.e. want them to try impressionistic painting while investigating Monet? visit a nearby skate park, pond, etc and paint there or take photos to use back at school or make drawing/painting/print of their own bedroom and then compare van Gogh's and de Hooch's).

      By even asking the question I can see you are really trying to make it a great experience for the kids...your students are lucky to have you and your enthusiasm will show!

      all the best
      Creatively, Linda (in Oregon)
    • kamla ravikumar
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 3, 2005
        The most important thing is to teach them to appreciate nature around them.
        God is the original artist and he has put so much colour in everything we see around us.
        Children like to get out of classrfoom sessions.
        So take them into the garden and teach them to take leaf impressions and collect flowers in the nature study class.
        Let them first draw each flower and then colour it in a colour of their choice.Leaf patterns make a very inetersting study.

        I have a lot of books with animal and bird pictures.
        Ask each child: Which is their favourite animal.?
        Take the patterns from the animal's body and let them use it in any design form.A giraffe has very interesting patterns on its body.
        All thebirds have interesting colours too.The beaks and claws of each bird varies depending on what it eats.
        The butterfly class is a fun session.I ask the kids to paint and make their own butterflies.

        Human study starts with a self portrait which the kids love to do.

        From,
        Kamla
        Chennai,India.

        tmwillis72 <tmwillis72@...> wrote:

        I was wondering if anyone could help. I am in my second year teaching
        and I am still struggling with lessons. I am not sure how to motivate
        my students when I have a new project to start. I am feeling lost and
        a bit like I am just filling time. I love my job but want to feel
        like I am really reaching them.

        Each day I sit and struggle with the idea of how to present a lesson
        and how to "hook" my students.

        Any feedback would be helpful.

        Tammy