STUGGLING

  • tmwillis72
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 3, 2005
      I was wondering if anyone could help. I am in my second year teaching
      and I am still struggling with lessons. I am not sure how to motivate
      my students when I have a new project to start. I am feeling lost and
      a bit like I am just filling time. I love my job but want to feel
      like I am really reaching them.

      Each day I sit and struggle with the idea of how to present a lesson
      and how to "hook" my students.

      Any feedback would be helpful.

      Tammy
    • Fields, Linda
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 3, 2005
        what grade levels?

        I was wondering if anyone could help. I am in my second year teaching
        and I am still struggling with lessons. I am not sure how to motivate
        my students when I have a new project to start. I am feeling lost and
        a bit like I am just filling time. I love my job but want to feel
        like I am really reaching them.

        Each day I sit and struggle with the idea of how to present a lesson
        and how to "hook" my students.

        Any feedback would be helpful.

        Tammy

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        Delivered by GCSnet (b37)

        This email is for the sole use of the individual for whom it is intended. If you are neither the intended recipient, nor agent responsible for delivering this e-mail to the intended recipient, any disclosure, retransmission, copying, or taking action in reliance on this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the person transmitting the information immediately. All email correspondence to and from this email address may be subject to NC Public Records Law which may result in monitoring and disclosure to third parties, including law enforcement."
        ------------------------
        Outbound by GCSnet (b37)
      • kayashkwa@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 3, 2005
          Hi,

          One thought that I have, is to teach your lessons based around something that excites you in art. I'm a student in art education, in my junior year, and I've noticed that in the lessons plans that I have taught and in the curriculum that I have written, that the lessons that have worked really well, were the ones that I was enthusiastic about because of my personal interest. For example, I wanted to teach a lesson on relief printing to middle school students, so I chose a lesson based on Native American pottery that I love. My enthusiasm about the symbolism in the designs and how I expressed my own story through symbolism in a relief print got the students enthusiastic and the lesson went wonderfully. But in other lessons, where I was teaching a concept of art, without a lot of enthusiasm myself about the lesson, I could really see the difference in the feeling in the classroom.
          This is just my personal observation and I know I still have a lot to learn, but I feel that my enthusisam carries over to the students. When I am excited about what I would like to teach the students, the lesson seems to flow much more smoothly.
          I hope this helps,
          Lynn

        • go4art@juno.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 3, 2005
            I believe helping students to be invested in the process helps. Let them set the criteria for a project -- typically they'll come up with the same things you're hoping for (maybe value, texture and composition for a charcoal still life)! Even have them choose the theme of the still life!

            Investigating their interests and environment and then incorporating those is important (i.e. want them to try impressionistic painting while investigating Monet? visit a nearby skate park, pond, etc and paint there or take photos to use back at school or make drawing/painting/print of their own bedroom and then compare van Gogh's and de Hooch's).

            By even asking the question I can see you are really trying to make it a great experience for the kids...your students are lucky to have you and your enthusiasm will show!

            all the best
            Creatively, Linda (in Oregon)
          • kamla ravikumar
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 3, 2005
              The most important thing is to teach them to appreciate nature around them.
              God is the original artist and he has put so much colour in everything we see around us.
              Children like to get out of classrfoom sessions.
              So take them into the garden and teach them to take leaf impressions and collect flowers in the nature study class.
              Let them first draw each flower and then colour it in a colour of their choice.Leaf patterns make a very inetersting study.

              I have a lot of books with animal and bird pictures.
              Ask each child: Which is their favourite animal.?
              Take the patterns from the animal's body and let them use it in any design form.A giraffe has very interesting patterns on its body.
              All thebirds have interesting colours too.The beaks and claws of each bird varies depending on what it eats.
              The butterfly class is a fun session.I ask the kids to paint and make their own butterflies.

              Human study starts with a self portrait which the kids love to do.

              From,
              Kamla
              Chennai,India.