RE: [art_education] Tragedy in NY

  • Judi Vokes
    Message 1 of 22 , Sep 17, 2001
      Our school of 1500 collected over $2000 Wed. just at lunch for NYC. Our
      clubs are donating funds that were for operations, also.

      Message 2 of 22 , Sep 17, 2001
        Our students here are making American flags and they
        write a poem about the tragedy on each stripe. They
        are hanging flag mobiles in the hallways as well...
        ----------------------------------

      • tpersis@aol.com
        Message 3 of 22 , Sep 17, 2001
          i like the idea of the poem
          incorporated with the flag--
          thank you

          at this time i usually do a cityscape project with my fifth graders..
          I think i still will, and now there be so many new meanings created
          by what these children have experienced.
        • Ken Rohrer
          Message 4 of 22 , Sep 18, 2001
            Following are some children's pictures of the tragedy
            courtesy of http://www.kiddonet.com/

          • kc
            Message 5 of 22 , Sep 18, 2001
              > Following are some children's pictures of the tragedy
              > courtesy of http://www.kiddonet.com/

              ----

              ----

              ----
            • kc
              Message 6 of 22 , Sep 18, 2001
                Dear Ken, Hi, I'm a teacher from a small school from Maine. Thank you for
                sending the children's pictures. Children hit the core on how our school
                feels. Kim

                Message 7 of 22 , Sep 18, 2001
                  > Following are some children's pictures of the tragedy
                  > courtesy of http://www.kiddonet.com/

                  ----

                  ----

                  ----
                • Sue Freeland
                  Message 8 of 22 , Sep 19, 2001
                    Need your help!!cause you guys are the best! Can we put our heads together
                    and come up with one or more projects created by our art classes that would
                    make a difference and inspire people in our own towns?
                    I love the idea of an international protest and my students are currently
                    making posters for the Lion's Club Peace poster contest (incredible timing!)
                    Theme this year "Lighting the pathway to peace."
                    What I would like to do is some kind of permanent sculpture or mural or
                    whatever so that people will not forget those who died but also to
                    strengthen the ties that have brought us together even if it is in grief.
                    Strangers no longer walk by without acknowledgement. They look you in the
                    eye and the sentiment is there, a nod, a smile a sort of recognition of
                    another soul going through the same pain.
                    Sorry...it's getting late. But really, does anyone have a suggestion for
                    some kind of memorial like this...something that would be around a while?
                    Thanks,
                    Sue
                  • DeAnn Hanisch
                    Message 9 of 22 , Oct 2, 2001
                      I'm not sure if this is along the lines you are
                      thinking, but have you looked at the quilt Faith
                      Ringgold created for the Oklahoma City Bombing? Her
                      work is so powerful! You may get some inspiration!

                      http://phone.yahoo.com
                    • Smileatsusan@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 22 , Oct 3, 2001
                        I'd love to see that site. We have an exhibit of Faith's coming to our
                        community this Winter!
                        -Susan
                      • Ken Rohrer
                        Message 11 of 22 , Oct 15, 2001
                          Hi all,
                          Teri Mason, who is helping me with the art site, sent
                          me this message a few days ago. She says she posted it
                          to this group but I don't remember reading it.

                          William Saunders Mason, IV "Liam"
                          born 10/08/01 9:33 am
                          6lbs, 13 oz
                          via emergency c-section, after 30 hrs of natural labor

                          I'm sure this will keep her busy and we won't be able
                          to update the art site much.
                          Ken

                          http://personals.yahoo.com