Altered Books - Social Issues - Great site

  • Judith Decker
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 3, 2004
      Dear Art Educators,

      This site came though Scout Report today...GREAT site
      showing "altered" books (OK dramatically transformed
      in many cases) - Vandalized books turned into art.
      http://sfpl.lib.ca.us/news/onlineexhibits/rv/

      Reversing Vandalism

      "Sometimes traumatic events, though harrowing and
      disturbing, may serve as catalytic moments that can
      create openings for informed discussion, debate,
      and eventually, healing. One such event occurred in
      the early months of 2001 when San Francisco Public
      Library staff began finding damaged books hidden
      under shelving units throughout the main library. The
      books were mostly related to issues of gay, lesbian,
      bisexual, and transgendered individuals,
      and the works had been carved and mutilated with a
      sharp instrument. Eventually the vandal was caught by
      a librarian, and later found guilty of a hate crime.
      After this series of events, a number of local visual
      artists and library staff began to think about
      creating the "Reversing Vandalism" project, which
      would allow artists to use the damaged books to create
      new works of arts. When the project was completed,
      participants from more than 20 states had created new
      works from these books in a wide range of media. On
      this site, visitors can view the completed works, read
      statements from the artists, and read various media
      very fruitful and creative idea is expressed through
      this insightful online exhibit." [KMG]

      >From The Scout Report, Copyright Internet Scout
      Project 1994-2004.
      http://scout.wisc.edu/
      ----------------------------
      Hope you can use this site...middle school and high
      school can certainly deal with this subject. A link
      will be added from the Altered book lesson plan on
      IAD. I have not looked at every image.... I just know
      you will find many great works to show your students.
      If you want to let your students explore the site -
      check all for suitability.

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Tanya Riehle
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 3, 2004
        What a great site Judy thanks!!! My classes are creating altered books
        right now and are just beginning the project so it is nice to have this
        site as a reference. Also I have bought some books on altered
        books/paper quilting that are very nice!!!

        The Decorated Page, Gwen Diehn
        Bridget Hoff, Paper Quilting, ( love this book)
        Bev Brazelton, Altered Books Workshop: 18 creative techniques for
        self-expression;
        Altered Books, Collaborative Journals and Other Adventures in
        Bookmaking.
        Beth Cote, Altered Books 101
        All great books, we are also combining polymer clay with these. I will
        put some one my artsonia website when they are finished!!!

        Have a great day!

        Tanya