African American Artist to use with Michael's "tattoo" sculpture lesson

  • Judith Decker
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 28, 2004
      Dear Art Educators,

      I found the name of the artist who did the body cast
      arms and faces..YEAH!
      Here is an image of cast faces alone...Painted black
      then filled with pattern. Acrylic on plaster.
      Five Black Faces (life size - 8 1/2" high).
      http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/Files/jones.jpg
      I have not found the exact image - but now at least
      know who I am looking for. His name is Ben Jones (b.
      1942).

      Michael Gerrish had students cast their arm - link on
      IAD (from Middle School lesson page). I made the
      suggestion of doing your own "installation piece".
      Have half of the students do faces and half do arms
      maybe. Assign cultures to represent - or let them
      choose and pair up - or do their own cultural
      background - whatever works for you.

      I will get permission from Scholastic Art to put image
      on a lesson page on IAD. Michael has given me
      permission to put his lesson into lesson plan form
      linking to his page.... I just need someone to try it
      now (smile)... and I will do the work using YOUR
      student art.

      Here is what Scholastic Art Magizine had to say:

      " In works like Five Black Faces, sculptor Ben Jones
      makes plaster casts of body parts, then decorates them
      as if prepairing them for a tribal ritual. In this
      sculpture, brightly colored masks appear to cover the
      features of five bLAck heads. Jones uses a series of
      marks based on patterns used for African masks. This
      artist'S use of comtemporary symbols, graffitilike
      lines, and modern fluorescent colors emphasizes the
      connection between African past and today's American
      culture." (March 1998)

      I couldn't find any of Jones' work online (except one
      image from Artcyclopedia).

      P.S. Michael Gerrish, I'm doing cartwheels now
      (tee-hee)....I didn't hear from the museum yet.

      http://my.yahoo.com