Drawing situation

  • bruthrobson@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 10, 2004
      I am in a situation I am not sure how to handle.
      I teach several after school classes of 12. The parents pay for the art
      lessons.
      Last year I tried Larry's lesson how to draw shells because I wanted them to
      learn to draw and I thought his was great. It pretty much frustrated some of
      them and they eventually dropped. They were 5th and 6th graders.

      Now this year my classes are 1st-6th and some parents want me to teach them
      to draw. About half the kids are interested.

      I don't know really where to begin. The kids like projects more and I am
      afraid I may frustrate some of the kids and they may decide they just are not
      artists and quit. But it looks like I may lose some if I keep with just
      projects.

      Should I pick a common interest like horses and do grid drawing or should I
      do a still life? It's really a difficult range of ages to please.

      Thanks for anyone's advice.
      Brenda

    • candice carole
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 10, 2004
        brenda -
        i recommend checking out 'drawing on the right side of the brain' by Betty
        Edwards. There are quite a few quick drawing activities in the book that are
        appropriate for all different ages. i'm thinking specifically of the
        upside-down drawings, and the face/vase - it has been my experience that
        these two activities bring fast results, and the children end up extremely
        impressed with themselves. rearrange their thinking a bit, let them see the
        results - and i'm sure that they will be much more willing to let you carry
        them in the direction you've planned.
        best of luck.
        -candice.
      • Susan Michael
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 10, 2004
          Brenda,
          Would it work to ask the kids for ideas or themes which can be interwoven with the lessons that you have planned? Then they would feel some ownership in the class, and look forward to sticking it through so they can get to their project idea.You might be able to inlist the older kids to assist some younger ones, kind of mentoring them in a way. Also, having a supply of art manipulatives to keep them from getting anxious, especially the young ones, might be beneficial. If there is something they are supposed to draw, say a bridge, have on hand items that they can use to model it first - clay, paper clips and notecards, whatever. In one way distracting them from the chore of it being hard to draw, to using the manipulatives to think about it differently, then resume the drawing. Best Wishes!
          Susan

        • deepa kurup
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 11, 2004
            hi.
            since you are the teacher,you should decide as to what your students want, and what is good for them. now since you are telling that half of the students are not intrerested, divide the class into 2 groups. try it, if it works continue,if not try something else.motivate the students, tell them "if you dont get a certein thing it doesn't mean that you should leave it and forget about it. you should try"
            dont consider what the students parents want.coz they are not aware of the situation you are in.

            finally, i would say,do what you feel is right. of course it shouldnt go against the rules laid down by the different schools that you teach in.
            bruthrobson@... wrote:
[...]

            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          • Juliennè
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 11, 2004
              I am currently planning a unit plan on art and
              literature and was wondering if anyone had good ideas
              on easy ways for high schoolers. They are going to
              make their own handmade paper and bind it into a book
              that they can work in later on adding their own images
              and or story. Thanks in advance for any help, i've
              never made paper before so i'm kind of scared of doing
              something i'm not familiar with, especially with a
              group of 10th graders..

              =====
              Julienn�
              http://julie.putergod.net

              Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
              www.yahoo.com
            • K A
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 11, 2004
                I think it would be fun to do something with favorite quotes from the literature, like an abstract background representing the feeling of the words, then cut out magazine letters collaged onto it with the quote. Maybe the frame could even have bold handlettered words of the title of the book and the author repeated around it.

                ~ Kathleen

                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 12, 2004
                  ooo that is a good idea. I was thinking of having them
                  rewrite and reillustrate their favorite childhood book
                  too after we looked at several various illustrators
                  and how they got across an idea by using imagery.

                  =====