Re: [art_education] Tragedy in NY

  • ANDREW & JULIEPHEASANT
    Message 1 of 22 , Sep 16, 2001
      16/9/01 10:11 AM

      > List members,
      > After the events of this week I am finally able to
      > take a breath. It was difficult this week knowing how
      > to react to the news in front of the children. My
      > school district told us to turn off the TVs in the
      > school and we had a lockdown on Tuesday. On Friday we
      > had a moment of silence and said the pledge together
      > as well as sung the national anthem.
      >
      > What did you do at your schools? How are your students
      > handling the situation? I know a few members of this
      > list live in New York. How are you guys dealing with
      > the situation?
      > Ken Rohrer

      please could you pass this on to any art group or anti terrorist or poetry
      online group you know? thanks

      WANT TO DO SOMETHING TO EXPRESS YOUR OUTRAGE?????????
      EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST

      Please think about an international internet, online art/poetry exhibition
      where we all send in images protesting about the carnage and stupidity of
      all that has to do with terrorism...what do you think?

      If you would like to send an international visual protest by doing the above
      please send me your email messages to fez@... and I will take it
      from there. I can advertise it in Australia as well as on the net (my
      husband can start a web page) and if we get as many artists as we can doing
      this and advertising it to all the art sites and friends they can think of -
      what a wonderful, visually powerful thing it will be...
      let me know and I will reply in due course.

      cheers julie fearns pheasant
      Australia
    • ANDREW & JULIEPHEASANT
      Message 2 of 22 , Sep 17, 2001
        17/9/01 1:04 PM

        > 16/9/01 7:33 AM
        >
        >> _
        >> Here in Switzerland, we had 3 minutes of silence everywhere .
        >> We are thinking of you all Americans.
        >> Claire-Lise Veronese

        > please could you pass this on to any art group or anti terrorist or poetry
        > online group you know? thanks
        >

        > WANT TO DO SOMETHING TO EXPRESS YOUR OUTRAGE?????????
        > EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST
        >
        > Please think about an international internet, online art/poetry exhibition
        > where we all send in images protesting about the carnage and stupidity of
        > all that has to do with terrorism...what do you think?
        >
        > If you would like to send an international visual protest by doing the above
        > please send me your email messages to fez@... and I will take it
        > from there. I can advertise it in Australia as well as on the net (my
        > husband can start a web page) and if we get as many artists as we can doing
        > this and advertising it to all the art sites and friends they can think of -
        > what a wonderful, visually powerful thing it will be...
        > let me know and I will reply in due course.
        >
        > cheers julie fearns pheasant
        > Australia

        please could you pass this on to any art group or anti terrorist or poetry
        online group you know? thanks

        WANT TO DO SOMETHING TO EXPRESS YOUR OUTRAGE?????????
        EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST

        Please think about an international internet, online art/poetry exhibition
        where we all send in images protesting about the carnage and stupidity of
        all that has to do with terrorism...what do you think?

        If you would like to send an international visual protest by doing the above
        please send me your email messages to fez@... and I will take it
        from there. I can advertise it in Australia as well as on the net (my
        husband can start a web page) and if we get as many artists as we can doing
        this and advertising it to all the art sites and friends they can think of -
        what a wonderful, visually powerful thing it will be...
        let me know and I will reply in due course. no money is involved.

        cheers julie fearns pheasant
        Australia
      • Judi Vokes
        Message 3 of 22 , Sep 17, 2001
          Our school of 1500 collected over $2000 Wed. just at lunch for NYC. Our
          clubs are donating funds that were for operations, also.

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

[...]

          Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        • Ken Rohrer
          Message 4 of 22 , Sep 17, 2001
            Our students here are making American flags and they
            write a poem about the tragedy on each stripe. They
            are hanging flag mobiles in the hallways as well...
            ----------------------------------

          • tpersis@aol.com
            Message 5 of 22 , Sep 17, 2001
              i like the idea of the poem
              incorporated with the flag--
              thank you

              at this time i usually do a cityscape project with my fifth graders..
              I think i still will, and now there be so many new meanings created
              by what these children have experienced.
            • Ken Rohrer
              Message 6 of 22 , Sep 18, 2001
                Following are some children's pictures of the tragedy
                courtesy of http://www.kiddonet.com/

              • kc
                Message 7 of 22 , Sep 18, 2001
                  > Following are some children's pictures of the tragedy
                  > courtesy of http://www.kiddonet.com/

                  ----

                  ----

                  ----
                • kc
                  Message 8 of 22 , Sep 18, 2001
                    Dear Ken, Hi, I'm a teacher from a small school from Maine. Thank you for
                    sending the children's pictures. Children hit the core on how our school
                    feels. Kim

                    Message 9 of 22 , Sep 18, 2001
                      > Following are some children's pictures of the tragedy
                      > courtesy of http://www.kiddonet.com/

                      ----

                      ----

                      ----
                    • Sue Freeland
                      Message 10 of 22 , Sep 19, 2001
                        Need your help!!cause you guys are the best! Can we put our heads together
                        and come up with one or more projects created by our art classes that would
                        make a difference and inspire people in our own towns?
                        I love the idea of an international protest and my students are currently
                        making posters for the Lion's Club Peace poster contest (incredible timing!)
                        Theme this year "Lighting the pathway to peace."
                        What I would like to do is some kind of permanent sculpture or mural or
                        whatever so that people will not forget those who died but also to
                        strengthen the ties that have brought us together even if it is in grief.
                        Strangers no longer walk by without acknowledgement. They look you in the
                        eye and the sentiment is there, a nod, a smile a sort of recognition of
                        another soul going through the same pain.
                        Sorry...it's getting late. But really, does anyone have a suggestion for
                        some kind of memorial like this...something that would be around a while?
                        Thanks,
                        Sue
                      • DeAnn Hanisch
                        Message 11 of 22 , Oct 2, 2001
                          I'm not sure if this is along the lines you are
                          thinking, but have you looked at the quilt Faith
                          Ringgold created for the Oklahoma City Bombing? Her
                          work is so powerful! You may get some inspiration!

                          http://phone.yahoo.com
                        • Smileatsusan@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 22 , Oct 3, 2001
                            I'd love to see that site. We have an exhibit of Faith's coming to our
                            community this Winter!
                            -Susan
                          • Ken Rohrer
                            Message 13 of 22 , Oct 15, 2001
                              Hi all,
                              Teri Mason, who is helping me with the art site, sent
                              me this message a few days ago. She says she posted it
                              to this group but I don't remember reading it.

                              William Saunders Mason, IV "Liam"
                              born 10/08/01 9:33 am
                              6lbs, 13 oz
                              via emergency c-section, after 30 hrs of natural labor

                              I'm sure this will keep her busy and we won't be able
                              to update the art site much.
                              Ken

                              http://personals.yahoo.com