Russian Architecture Lesson Plan

  • Judith Decker
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 6, 2004
      Dear Art Educators,

      I am just doing a quick search for quality
      architecture lessons. I had to pull some off the site
      recently.

      Here is one for Russian Architecture from PBS.
      http://www.pbs.org/weta/faceofrussia/reference/lesson2.html

      Use any kind of media. I will be adding Russian
      Architecture links (already shared with Patti Caiola
      -Patti is doing lessons on Russian architecture)

      Extension - comparing Russian architecture to
      Eurasian:
      http://images.library.uiuc.edu/projects/tdc/LessonPlans/RussianEurasianArchit.html

      Russian Art and Architecture (some links may be
      broken):
      http://www.departments.bucknell.edu/russian/art.html
      Little Russia in US:
      http://russia-in-us.com/

      Possible Media choices:
      Gem and glitter crayons - water color resist
      Tagboard/cardboard collagraph relief prints
      Scratchfoam Relief prints
      Black glue outline (try Gold puffy paint outline) -
      chalk/pastels or oil pastels
      Chalk stencil background - cut black paper silhouette
      Painted background (warm or cool skies) - black
      painted silhouette.
      "Starry Night" (marbled background) - buildings added
      in silhoutte (Denise Pannell's lesson)- Building could
      be printed on with foam plates.
      Ceramic relief tiles - stained or painted after
      firing.
      Ceramic basilica's (Christine Sumner-Lyman's lesson).
      Crayon etchings
      Gold or silver scratchboard.
      Cut paper collage (a la Romare Bearden) - add people
      inside windows showing a slice of Russian life.
      Found object sculpture (recycling - paper towel tubes,
      Pringles cans, cardboard etc).

      Architecture is a frequent search topic on the site.
      If you have a successful lesson plan - send it my way.

      http://mail.yahoo.com