What does YOUR Dream Art Classroom look like?

  • Judith Decker
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 2, 2004
      Dear Art Educators,

      Kathy Douglas posted a gem of a quote from Jaune
      Quick-To-See Smith to TAB list (reposted from her
      April 2004 Blog). What is your dream for an art
      classroom? Doesn't this one sould a lot like TAB
      Choice? (From Jaune's keynote address to NAEA 1995)

      A DREAM FROM A PROMINENT WOMAN ARTIST:

      "Now I am going to describe my dream for an art
      classroom. Please envision this room with me. There
      would be clay on a large table with rolling pins and
      other tools. In that corner I see wood scraps with
      hammer and nails, glue guns and junk materials that
      companies throw away. Against that wall, there would
      be tempera paint with house paint brushes and
      newsprint spread across the wall for group mural
      painting. (Rolls of newsprint are free from any
      newspaper office.) Perhaps large tables for
      individual painting of various sizes. And then in this
      corner, I see crayons, pencils, chalk, paper,
      string and glue, plus a computer with McDraw or Adobe
      Illustrator. These children are allowed to choose how
      they want to interpret their ideas.

      I hear music in the background. Israeli music on this
      day. Native American music another day. Opera will be
      played next week. They don't hear this kind of music
      in band class. Music is also part of the arts and
      studies have shown that Beethoven encourages creative
      thinking.

      In this dream, I can see that art projects would
      include information on history, science, geography,
      and other cultures. We all learn new information by
      connecting or attaching it to the familiar. Therefore,
      these projects will be brought back to the
      personal so that each child can identify with them."

      Jaune Quick-To-See Smith, NAEA Keynote Address,
      Houston, 1995
      ------------------------------------
      I particularly like the last paragraph, too....making
      connections. Art can do it all....teach/reinforce all
      core subjects.

      I know a lot of you are not ready to go all choice.It
      takes a lot of organization to do that....If you are
      interested in hearing more about Choice....Sign up to
      TAB Choice Yahoo list - and check Knowledge Loom web
      site.
      http://knowledgeloom.org/ (Knowledge Loom site was
      down last I checked)

      Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.