Re: [art_education] Art for Riley

  • ANDREW & JULIEPHEASANT
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 16, 2001
      16/9/01 10:08 AM

      > List members,
      > I received this today. It may interest some of you:
      >

      > From: Michelle Thompson
      > Director, Department of Student
      > Activities
      >

      > Have you heard? The Indiana Association of School
      > Principals (IASP) has
      > issued a challenge! The challenge is to make a
      > difference, educationally,
      > for every child across the state, and to provide
      > programs that are aligned
      > with state standards. Who is the target of our
      > challenge? Ourselves!
      >
      > It is our mission to exceed your expectations toward
      > student success.
      > Toward that end we are dedicated to providing
      > resources in all curricular
      > areas, which enhance educational programs in our
      > school communities.
      >
      > We are very excited to share with you a pilot program,
      > Art for Riley, which
      > merges two projects very close to our hearts. The Art
      > Farm: Growing Arts
      > Education in Indiana and Kids Caring and Sharing for
      > Riley Hospital are
      > programs focused on our mission, making a difference
      > for every child. Art
      > for Riley will promote the artwork of our children and
      > youth across the
      > state in grades 1-12, as well as brighten the lives of
      > children and families
      > who find themselves at Riley.
      >
      > Beginning this fall, schools who have responded with
      > an interest to be part
      > of this project will be asked to send two-dimensional
      > artwork to a specified
      > location within their school?s state district (there
      > are 12 districts).
      > Artwork is to be 9? x 13.5? and is not to be mounted
      > or framed. Artwork may
      > be done in any medium including paint, chalk, pencil,
      > charcoal, or colored
      > pencil. All artwork must be received at the specified
      > district location on
      > or before October 12.
      >
      > Upon receipt of the artwork, IASP district membership
      > presidents will
      > assemble a jury to judge the artwork. Six pieces (two
      > pieces of artwork
      > each from elementary, middle, and high school) will be
      > forwarded to our
      > office from each district on or before November 12,
      > 2001, to be showcased
      > and narrowed to 18 pieces of artwork for display at
      > our annual Fall
      > Administrators? Conference. These winning pieces of
      > art will be displayed
      > in the halls of Riley Hospital for Children.
      >
      > Art for Riley will be an annual project aimed at
      > recognizing and showcasing
      > the talents of our children and youth across the
      > state, while also adding a
      > ray of sunshine to the children and families at Riley.
      > It is our hope you
      > will share in our excitement of this awesome
      > opportunity to ?show off? the
      > success of our children.

> [...]
      please could you pass this on to any art group or anti terrorist or poetry
      online group you know? thanks

      WANT TO DO SOMETHING TO EXPRESS YOUR OUTRAGE?????????
      EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST

      Please think about an international internet, online art/poetry exhibition
      where we all send in images protesting about the carnage and stupidity of
      all that has to do with terrorism...what do you think?

      If you would like to send an international visual protest by doing the above
      please send me your email messages to fez@... and I will take it
      from there. I can advertise it in Australia as well as on the net (my
      husband can start a web page) and if we get as many artists as we can doing
      this and advertising it to all the art sites and friends they can think of -
      what a wonderful, visually powerful thing it will be...
      let me know and I will reply in due course.

      cheers julie fearns pheasant
      Australia