Re: [art_education] pray for us

  • Carol Campbell
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 2, 2004
      Dear Maryann,
      My heart goes out to you and your community. I was a
      relatively new teacher when a fifteen year old seventh grader was
      killed violently by a male family friend. He was missing on a
      Wednesday night and by that Friday they knew he was dead. My students
      were some of the toughest kids from a city near Boston. At that time
      grief counselors were not thought of for junior high aged kids. I had
      a morning schedule of 3 seventh grade classes and I had expected that
      they would go on as usual but what I saw in front of me was stunned
      silence, the dropping pin sound could have been heard. I let them
      talk and I passed out tissues and I put out emotional fires all
      morning. The trauma began to ease by the afternoon but it was
      announced that the wake was that night and the funeral was Monday
      morning. All of the middle school aged kids who wanted to attend
      walked with teachers and staff to the church that was just two blocks
      away.As I walked with them, I can remember that I had my arms around
      those kids who needed it. Later when we returned to the school
      building, I just passed out paper and crayons to those who wanted to
      make a piece of art in his memory. Be as honest as you can,
      remember to be there for the kids because it is a real blunt trauma
      to face mortality in adolescence and hold strong to your faith.

      Sincerely,
      Carol Campbell-joyuzsong

      =====
      "Art, like morality, consists by drawing the line somewhere."
      - G.K. Chesterton
    • arash khodaee
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 3, 2004
        visit This site you may enjoy: