Re: Art I - need help with drawing ideas

  • Grace LaForge
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 1, 2004
      Michele -

      I have been re-thinking having everyone learn through drawing as a basic.  I work with Special Ed High School students and there is a lot of resistance, fear and disinterest with these acquired skills.( Sort of a concentrated version of what you're experiencing, I guess.)  I have always offered choices when I met with resistance.

      It has helped me to step back and take another look at what my role is as an Art educator and what would be most meaningful for students to experience during their time in the Art room.

      I have found that the concept of using centers as laid out in Choice-based Art Education  http://knowledgeloom.org/tab/index.jsp is something that i've adapted to my program. It makes sense for me.  It also allows me to talk less and give them a chance to discuss, wonder and enjoy expressing themselves.

      Most of my students want to use materials in some way and many have been more open to trying challenging projects after watching others take the leap. Of course I first saw it described on IAD in the ART NEWS section -scroll down to the article on Kathy Douglas.  If you have Sept. 2004 Arts and Activities, she also has a concise article there.  It is used on both elementary and high school levels but it seems especially suited to those classes for non-art-majors.

      Alternatively, Marvin Bartel presents drawing "Rituals"  which could begin and end the class.  Some years these have worked for me, depending on the makeup of the class.   http://www.goshen.edu/~lonhs/GCPUBLICATIONS/Bartel.html

      I also taught elementary, then "graduated" to the older students.  It sure is a different ballgame!

      Have fun - grace