Re: some quotes I love

  • MaryAnn Kohl
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 1, 2004
      Re: some quotes I love Art and Creativity Quotes ...

          When my daughter was about seven years old, she asked me one day what I did at work. I told
      her I worked at the college - that my job was to teach people how to draw. She stared back at me, incredulous, and said, "You mean they forget?"
      - Howard Ikemoto, artist/art teacher (1937-)

      Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up...It took me 4 years to paint like Raphael, but a lifetime to paint like a child.
      -Pablo Picasso, artist (1881-1973)

      Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
      -Scott Adams, cartoonist (1957)

      The creation of a thousand forests is in one acorn.
      -Ralph Waldo Emerson, author/poet/philosopher (1803-1882)

      There is no must in art because art is free.
      -Wassily Kandinsky, artist (1866-1944)

      I don't paint things. I only paint the difference between things.
      -Henri Matisse, artist (1869-1954)

      Creativity often consists of merely turning up what is already there. Did you know that right and left shoes were thought up only a little more than a century ago?
      -Bernice Fitz-Gibbon, Macy's advertising executive, (1895-1992)

      What art offers is space - a certain breathing room for the spirit.
      -John Updike, novelist/writer (1932)

      I found I could say things with color and shapes that I couldn't say any other way - things I had no words for.
      -Georgia O'Keeffe, artist (1887-1986)

      You can have no recipe with art. If you follow a recipe, you're negating the creative act.
      -Denise Browne Hare, art author

      You've got to keep the child alive; you can't create without it.
      -Joni Mitchell, singer/songwriter (1943)

      So you see, imagination needs moodling - long, inefficient, happy idling, dawdling and puttering.
      -Brenda Ueland, artist/writer (1891-1986)

      ========================
      MaryAnn Kohl
      maryann@...
      http://www.brightring.com
      We can learn a lot from crayons.
      Some are sharp, some are dull,
      some are pretty, some are broken,
      most have strange names,
      all are different colors
      ... and they fit perfectly in the same box!