Re: Art I - need help with drawing ideas

  • Ken Rohrer
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 1, 2004
      Marianne,

      I too used Betty Edward's "Drawing on the Right Side
      of the Brain" and "Drawing on the Artist Within." You
      can read all about it on her website:

      http://www.drawright.com/

      You will be able to sign up for a mailing list, view
      portfolios and read other information. When I taught
      her methods, students who were poor drawers suddenly
      became great drawers. I also used it when I taught an
      adult night drawing course. It worked wonders.
      Basically the concept is to force someone to tap the
      creative side of the brain. One of the ways this is
      done is to draw upside down.

      I highly recommend her books. It will be money well
      spent.

      Ken

      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 1, 2004
        Take a look at the workbook, "So You Thought You
        Couldn't Draw" by Sandra Angelo. It is full of grid
        drawings.

        Kathy Olson
      • Grace LaForge
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 1, 2004
          Michele -

          I have been re-thinking having everyone learn through drawing as a basic.  I work with Special Ed High School students and there is a lot of resistance, fear and disinterest with these acquired skills.( Sort of a concentrated version of what you're experiencing, I guess.)  I have always offered choices when I met with resistance.

          It has helped me to step back and take another look at what my role is as an Art educator and what would be most meaningful for students to experience during their time in the Art room.

          I have found that the concept of using centers as laid out in Choice-based Art Education  http://knowledgeloom.org/tab/index.jsp is something that i've adapted to my program. It makes sense for me.  It also allows me to talk less and give them a chance to discuss, wonder and enjoy expressing themselves.

          Most of my students want to use materials in some way and many have been more open to trying challenging projects after watching others take the leap. Of course I first saw it described on IAD in the ART NEWS section -scroll down to the article on Kathy Douglas.  If you have Sept. 2004 Arts and Activities, she also has a concise article there.  It is used on both elementary and high school levels but it seems especially suited to those classes for non-art-majors.

          Alternatively, Marvin Bartel presents drawing "Rituals"  which could begin and end the class.  Some years these have worked for me, depending on the makeup of the class.   http://www.goshen.edu/~lonhs/GCPUBLICATIONS/Bartel.html

          I also taught elementary, then "graduated" to the older students.  It sure is a different ballgame!

          Have fun - grace