Re: [art_education] Art I - need help with drawing ideas

  • Kelli Denne
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 1, 2004
      I have done a distorted grid drawing, where you skew the gridlines but you still have to follow the grid lines....the results are a lot of fun and the kids aren't so caught up with the fact that it doesn't look exactly like the picture.  They can still work with value and they can still learn to LOOK!  Along the same lines, an art teacher I know has done stretched faces where they use about a 6x18 piece of paper and stretch their portrait to fit.  They still have to learn to look and they can also apply value as well.
      Hope these help....it just kind of takes away the pressure of making their drawings look realistic, yet they still learn drawing techniques.

      Kelli Wilke
      Visit our website at manila.esu6.org/kelliw

      Do you Yahoo!?
    • Ken Rohrer
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 1, 2004
        Marianne,

        I too used Betty Edward's "Drawing on the Right Side
        of the Brain" and "Drawing on the Artist Within." You
        can read all about it on her website:

        http://www.drawright.com/

        You will be able to sign up for a mailing list, view
        portfolios and read other information. When I taught
        her methods, students who were poor drawers suddenly
        became great drawers. I also used it when I taught an
        adult night drawing course. It worked wonders.
        Basically the concept is to force someone to tap the
        creative side of the brain. One of the ways this is
        done is to draw upside down.

        I highly recommend her books. It will be money well
        spent.

        Ken

        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 1, 2004
          Take a look at the workbook, "So You Thought You
          Couldn't Draw" by Sandra Angelo. It is full of grid
          drawings.

          Kathy Olson
        • Grace LaForge
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 1, 2004
            Michele -

            I have been re-thinking having everyone learn through drawing as a basic.  I work with Special Ed High School students and there is a lot of resistance, fear and disinterest with these acquired skills.( Sort of a concentrated version of what you're experiencing, I guess.)  I have always offered choices when I met with resistance.

            It has helped me to step back and take another look at what my role is as an Art educator and what would be most meaningful for students to experience during their time in the Art room.

            I have found that the concept of using centers as laid out in Choice-based Art Education  http://knowledgeloom.org/tab/index.jsp is something that i've adapted to my program. It makes sense for me.  It also allows me to talk less and give them a chance to discuss, wonder and enjoy expressing themselves.

            Most of my students want to use materials in some way and many have been more open to trying challenging projects after watching others take the leap. Of course I first saw it described on IAD in the ART NEWS section -scroll down to the article on Kathy Douglas.  If you have Sept. 2004 Arts and Activities, she also has a concise article there.  It is used on both elementary and high school levels but it seems especially suited to those classes for non-art-majors.

            Alternatively, Marvin Bartel presents drawing "Rituals"  which could begin and end the class.  Some years these have worked for me, depending on the makeup of the class.   http://www.goshen.edu/~lonhs/GCPUBLICATIONS/Bartel.html

            I also taught elementary, then "graduated" to the older students.  It sure is a different ballgame!

            Have fun - grace