Motivating students through arts and craft - and Gratitude quote

  • Judith Decker
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 1, 2004
      Dear Art Educators,

      Two posts in one now...

      Cultural arts and crafts are a huge motivator for all
      kids.... The is a post from Patty Phillips on Getty
      list (shared with her permission).

      This has worked for Patty:

      "I teach at a suburban high school in the largest
      district in KY. We have an ever-growing Hispanic
      population. In fact, a quarter of our school
      population is comprised of students for whom English
      is a second language. I always had trouble with ESL
      students. They do other work in class, talk to each
      other, and do little artwork. This year, however,
      I've had great luck reaching them. I offered a new
      "Folk Arts and Crafts" class this year. The intent
      was to give non-artistic students a creative outlet,
      but I ended up with lots of ESL students in these
      classes. We started the year with a fiber arts unit
      and my ESL students, being from crafty cultures, are
      doing great work!! They are my star students. I even
      had an ESL student who I've taught for the past two
      years ask me for the first time the English name for a
      material we were using in class.
      So, my advice is giving them something they know in
      order to give them a chance for success."
      --------------------------

      My advice too! Give them something they know... I had
      a much longer post mulling over in my head - but you
      get the short version (chuckles). This DOES work.
      Patty will share some curriculum information over the
      summer - if not before. I can share a bunch of ideas
      for Hispanic cultures.... also see the pages on IAD.

      Gratitude:

      Make someone's day today! Show "Gratitute" towards
      someone you care about.

      Feeling gratitude and not expressing it is like
      wrapping a present and not giving it. ~William Arthur
      Ward

      This quote is from Diane P. all the way from sunny
      Canada! Keep the sun shining in your life - Smile big!
      That is your own special light - keep it glowing.

      =====
      Judy Decker
      jdecker4art@...
      Incredible Art Resources

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
    • MaryAnn Kohl
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 1, 2004
        Re: some quotes I love Art and Creativity Quotes ...

            When my daughter was about seven years old, she asked me one day what I did at work. I told
        her I worked at the college - that my job was to teach people how to draw. She stared back at me, incredulous, and said, "You mean they forget?"
        - Howard Ikemoto, artist/art teacher (1937-)

        Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up...It took me 4 years to paint like Raphael, but a lifetime to paint like a child.
        -Pablo Picasso, artist (1881-1973)

        Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
        -Scott Adams, cartoonist (1957)

        The creation of a thousand forests is in one acorn.
        -Ralph Waldo Emerson, author/poet/philosopher (1803-1882)

        There is no must in art because art is free.
        -Wassily Kandinsky, artist (1866-1944)

        I don't paint things. I only paint the difference between things.
        -Henri Matisse, artist (1869-1954)

        Creativity often consists of merely turning up what is already there. Did you know that right and left shoes were thought up only a little more than a century ago?
        -Bernice Fitz-Gibbon, Macy's advertising executive, (1895-1992)

        What art offers is space - a certain breathing room for the spirit.
        -John Updike, novelist/writer (1932)

        I found I could say things with color and shapes that I couldn't say any other way - things I had no words for.
        -Georgia O'Keeffe, artist (1887-1986)

        You can have no recipe with art. If you follow a recipe, you're negating the creative act.
        -Denise Browne Hare, art author

        You've got to keep the child alive; you can't create without it.
        -Joni Mitchell, singer/songwriter (1943)

        So you see, imagination needs moodling - long, inefficient, happy idling, dawdling and puttering.
        -Brenda Ueland, artist/writer (1891-1986)

        ========================
        MaryAnn Kohl
        maryann@...
        http://www.brightring.com
        We can learn a lot from crayons.
        Some are sharp, some are dull,
        some are pretty, some are broken,
        most have strange names,
        all are different colors
        ... and they fit perfectly in the same box!