RE: [art_education] Art I - need help with drawing ideas

  • Charlot Cassar
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 30, 2004
      Marianne - for some very basic drawing exercises which should also be fun
      try having a look at Betty Edward's "Drawing on the Right Hand Side of the
      Brain". There is even a work book to go with the book. The kids really
      appreciate it...

      C.

      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 1, 2004
        on 9/30/04 7:06 PM, mgalyk at mgalyk@... wrote:

        > Hi, all,
        > I desperately need your help. After 4 weeks of putting it off, and
        > trying to let the kids get to know me, I finally started basic
        > drawing with my Art I students today. (This is my first year at the
        > HS level, although many of the students know me as my kids attended
        > here, and I taught in the elementary for 5 years.) Up to this point,
        > we had done a graffiti project which was a hit, a lot of stuff with
        > line styles, etc., and most have completed an original drawing using
        > those line styles that we practiced. I began with contour line
        > drawing of their hand. They did a pre-instruction drawing (through
        > moaning and groaning) and then I demonstrated blind contour. More
        > moaning and groaning -- not to mention peeking...as they tried (and
        > I use the word "tried" loosely) that! I explained that I didn't
        > expect that one to be a good drawing....just trying to get them to
        > spend more time LOOKING. Then we began to draw while looking. I
        > don't know HOW to get them to TRY harder and stop there constant cry
        > of "I can't draw". Many just give up and get pouty. Probably 2/3 are
        > in the class just for the art credit they need to graduate....not
        > because they really want to take art, although I have a few truly
        > interested students scattered about. What do I do next? Where do I
        > go from here experienced high school art teachers???? HELP!!! I
        > don't think that they expected to actually have to DRAW in art. I
        > don't expect miracles, but I do expect EFFORT. (And I grade
        > accordingly.) I need a plan. Is my approach wrong?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Marianne
        > Ridgemont HS, OH
        >
        > P.S. - The other thing that happened that baffled me was the kid who
        > drew REALLY well on his pre-instruction drawing and then even better
        > after a little instruction I asked him if he drew much outside of
        > class and he said "No, I HATE to draw." That one REALLY baffles
        > me!?!?!

        I have several drawing ideas that I can send pictures of if you'd like. I
        like to start them out with line (I try to do an exercise/project addressing
        the elements of art and principles of design) I have a PowerPoint I show
        them of optical illusions I have collected over a few years. Then we discuss
        how the eye is fooled and also a bit about mc escher and his "illusions" You
        could certainly add other artists who have created illusions. Then show
        them past examples of the design illusion they are going to do which appears
        to have curves but is really all straight lines. Then I show them how to do
        the basic unit of the design using a square. It is the same concept as
        cocktail napkins where each square or rectangle or triangle is slightly
        turned inside the other creating a look of curved lines. Then when it comes
        time for the project they use a larger piece of paper broken up in a
        symmetrical or asymmetrical pattern and use a pen (I like fine point ball
        pens) they don't leak or leave dots of bleeding ink in the fibers of the
        paper. The students have to really pay attention to detail and take their
        time so they don't smear and smudge the ink all over the paper. I won't let
        them do it in pencil first because it ends up a mess when you try to erase
        it.

        I also like to have them do a grid transfer drawing, I actually made
        transparent 8 x10 grid sheets with the overhead transparency copier that
        they can lay right over a page from a magazine and eliminate the step of
        drawing the grid on the magazine.
        et me know if you would like more explanation or pictures. I will be happy
        to send them.

        Michele O'Brien
        Davenport North High School
        626 W. 53rd Street
        Davenport, Iowa 52806
      • Kelli Denne
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 1, 2004
          I have done a distorted grid drawing, where you skew the gridlines but you still have to follow the grid lines....the results are a lot of fun and the kids aren't so caught up with the fact that it doesn't look exactly like the picture.  They can still work with value and they can still learn to LOOK!  Along the same lines, an art teacher I know has done stretched faces where they use about a 6x18 piece of paper and stretch their portrait to fit.  They still have to learn to look and they can also apply value as well.
          Hope these help....it just kind of takes away the pressure of making their drawings look realistic, yet they still learn drawing techniques.

          Kelli Wilke
          Visit our website at manila.esu6.org/kelliw

          Do you Yahoo!?
        • Ken Rohrer
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 1, 2004
            Marianne,

            I too used Betty Edward's "Drawing on the Right Side
            of the Brain" and "Drawing on the Artist Within." You
            can read all about it on her website:

            http://www.drawright.com/

            You will be able to sign up for a mailing list, view
            portfolios and read other information. When I taught
            her methods, students who were poor drawers suddenly
            became great drawers. I also used it when I taught an
            adult night drawing course. It worked wonders.
            Basically the concept is to force someone to tap the
            creative side of the brain. One of the ways this is
            done is to draw upside down.

            I highly recommend her books. It will be money well
            spent.

            Ken

            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 1, 2004
              Take a look at the workbook, "So You Thought You
              Couldn't Draw" by Sandra Angelo. It is full of grid
              drawings.

              Kathy Olson
            • Grace LaForge
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 1, 2004
                Michele -

                I have been re-thinking having everyone learn through drawing as a basic.  I work with Special Ed High School students and there is a lot of resistance, fear and disinterest with these acquired skills.( Sort of a concentrated version of what you're experiencing, I guess.)  I have always offered choices when I met with resistance.

                It has helped me to step back and take another look at what my role is as an Art educator and what would be most meaningful for students to experience during their time in the Art room.

                I have found that the concept of using centers as laid out in Choice-based Art Education  http://knowledgeloom.org/tab/index.jsp is something that i've adapted to my program. It makes sense for me.  It also allows me to talk less and give them a chance to discuss, wonder and enjoy expressing themselves.

                Most of my students want to use materials in some way and many have been more open to trying challenging projects after watching others take the leap. Of course I first saw it described on IAD in the ART NEWS section -scroll down to the article on Kathy Douglas.  If you have Sept. 2004 Arts and Activities, she also has a concise article there.  It is used on both elementary and high school levels but it seems especially suited to those classes for non-art-majors.

                Alternatively, Marvin Bartel presents drawing "Rituals"  which could begin and end the class.  Some years these have worked for me, depending on the makeup of the class.   http://www.goshen.edu/~lonhs/GCPUBLICATIONS/Bartel.html

                I also taught elementary, then "graduated" to the older students.  It sure is a different ballgame!

                Have fun - grace